Chapter 16

I woke up with Julieta's food in my mouth, and I was aware again. Abuela looked livid. She wanted an explanation. Bruno was sitting next to me, Alicia, Isaiah, and Leonna tight around him. I hugged all of them tightly, telling them we'd never leave again. It looked to be about midnight. After a little while Abuela chased them off to bed, Leonna overjoyed that she could teleport again.

"What happened?" Abuela said as we sat around the table, the silencing charm still in place. "Why did you not tell us all of this?"

"You didn't need to know." I said.

"But... we're witches?" Julieta asked.

I thought for a moment. "Not necessarily. The candle is a talisman that allows you to access a given power. You're still squibs by standard definition, but you have magic."

"Are Alicia, Isaiah and Leonna...?" Julieta started.

"They are like me. They understand Parseltongue. They could only understand it if their magic is awake. Which it appears to be."

"Why didn't you ever say Abigor was your father?" Bruno asked.

I ground my teeth, not knowing if I should tell the story or not.

"Because of what he did to my mother and brother and sister. He and my mother married because they both had powerful magic roots. Purebloods, wizards tracing back the whole line. Marrow is a pureblood name. When I was five, I started seeing things. It took my mother a while to figure out what was happening. But eventually she figured out I had future sight. The last person in my family to have had that ability was my great-grandmother, and she died just before I was born. My parents had my brother and sister, hoping to get a seer child, but they were both squibs. When I was eight and my normal powers were starting to come in, I started seeing terrible things. Pain. That's what I took most out of it. I told my parents, and they assured me that they wouldn't let that happen and that everything would be okay.

"I kept seeing it, so I started using my abilities to try and find the cause of it. Or anything that might help. Meanwhile, news was spreading like wildfire that the Wyle King was gaining more power and would storm the government. From the time I was ten to seventeen I saw every part of what would happen except for the part where I find out my own father is Wyle." I shook my head. "I was betrayed and tortured by my own father. So you see why I don't really want to display that connection."

No one was looking at me, they were all looking at each other. "If you want to say anything, good or bad, please say it." I urged.

"Are you able to do things like the Madrigals can?" Agustin asked cautiously, as though he'd be scolded for asking.

I nodded. "Witches and wizards can do practically anything, though they are usually limited within a certain skill set. Me, for example, I'm really good at apparating -teleporting, you would call it-, summoning fire, and manipulating objects. Disappear, levitate, bring into existence, those sorts of things. And I can do all of that without a wand, which is nearly unheard of in the Wizarding world. Though I can't apparate in here, the magic is too strong."

Abuela turned her head. "What is the fedelius charm? Wyle mentioned that. And what was that... language the two of you spoke?" She mentioned the language with distaste.

"The Fedelius Charm is a charm that is usually placed to protect someone or something. Like if you want to hide someone or hide a whole house you can. The charm shields the bewitched from outside eyes and stops people from apparating in or out. The language we spoke is Parseltongue. The language of snakes. Only people with the blood of Salazar Slytherin can speak it. He lived a thousand years ago."

Bruno nodded along, already knowing all of this, but Pepa was brewing a big storm, Félix trying to calm her, Julieta and Augustin talking among themselves, and Abuela staring off into the void, her expression still angry but more mellow.

"How long were we gone?" I asked.

"Little under two days." Bruno replied. I leaned into him, and he wrapped his arms around me.

"Can you heal people?" Julieta asked.

"Why do you think we came back without a scratch?" Bruno said. Julieta blinked a little under a hundred times at me, but said nothing else.

"I don't suppose you all can not speak of this anywhere else? Dolores..." I didn't need to say anything else. They all knew what I meant.

"Yes." "Of course!" "Can do."

"Why are we talking about it now then?" Pepa asked.

"I put a silencing charm around this room. I'll take it down when we're done talking about this. But I'll put one up in Bruno's hallway if you want to talk more about it."

I got a bunch of nods in return, and that was that. Bruno and I walked back upstairs, up the staircase that earned a few more stairs every day.

I didn't sleep for almost a week. I was too paranoid to close my eyes. I took down the charm around the dining room and put one in the hallway. I would've talked to Tia Inez about what to do, but she left the Encanto a couple years ago. She was getting old and people were getting suspicious.

I didn't know whether I should tell Alicia, Isaiah, and Leonna about what they were and what happened. Where would I even start?

I didn't even get to answer my first question before everything went downhill.