Chapter 13

I threw my fork back onto the plate. If it was the event that Bruno first saw, I was expecting one of Abigor's high generals, not Abigor himself.

I turned to face him, a look of murder on my face. He would die before he touched my family.

"I'd ask you what you wanted, but we both know the answer to that." I said condescendingly.

"We have an Abuelo?" Leonna asked hopefully.

My stomach dropped. "No. You don't." I told her sharply.

"Why don't all the kids go to bed, and the grown-ups will stay and talk?" I made eye contact with each child, and Alicia, Dolores, and Isabela each led their siblings to bed.

Leonna gawked at Abigor as she passed by him, him being in the way of the stairs.

When they were all gone, he turned back to me. "Well, that little one sure looks an awful lot like you, my dearest." He said churlishly.

I stood up and pulled a chair out for Abigor, the one to my left and next to Abuela. I circled the room, placing a silencing charm. Abigor watched me knowingly, Bruno suspicious, and everyone else confused.

"So... you're Athena's father?" Abuela asked. "She said her family was murdered."

"She tells no lies, simply left out the part of my being alive, but ceasing to call me her father."

Abuela looked at me, accusation in her eyes. I remained standing, not trusting Abigor. I leaned against a post, not taking my eyes off the man who fathered me.

"Why did you never say your father was the Wy- Wyle King?" Julieta asked.

Bruno looked like he wanted the answer to that same question. I never told him. It was the only secret I ever kept from him.

"No one needed to know." I said with a flick of my knee-length braided hair.

"Same as always, I see." Abigor said.

Julieta, who had been panicking at my behavior, relaxed after Abigor said that.

"Who placed the Fidelius Charm here? Was it you, my daughter?" Abigor asked.

I shook my head. "Abuela placed it. I believe she is a squib and she was about to be killed when her magic reawakened and the charm was placed over the valley."

"What are you two talking about?" Abuela asked sternly with a note of panic.

"Sometimes a witch or a wizard can have a child who can't harness their magic. The child has another magicless child, and so on and so on. The knowledge of magical roots is lost usually by the third or fourth generation. Occasionally, a child can be born who is able to harness their magic." I gestured to Bruno, Julieta, and Pepa. "A squib still has magic, and in times of peril their magic can save them." I stopped talking, as that was all they needed to hear.

"You're a witch!?" Julieta asked, three octaves higher than usual.

I nodded. "By international wizard law I'm only allowed to tell my immediate family. Bruno and our children."

Everyone but Bruno looked too shocked to speak. I turned back to Abigor.

"I would recommend leaving, as I'm sure you know how this encounter will end up."

"Hm," he said. "My dearest, I don't believe you are as powerful here. I can feel my power draining by the minute. If you still want to challenge me, then go ahead. But I believe I can best you." He said in Parseltongue.

I raised my eyebrow and said "yes, but who has been here longest? Who has had time to get used to the lack of power? I will best you, and you know it."

So quick no one but me would've seen it, he sent a spell my way. I brought out my wand and blocked the spell with ease.

Remembering the vision Bruno had where I killed Abigor in his own domain, I shook my head and said "will you never understand? I've slipped out of your grip every time, when will you quit?"

He snarled. "Never!" He exclaimed.

"Everyone get out!" I yelled as Abigor began fighting me. I may not have my future sight to aid me, I may be out of practice, but once a fighter, always a fighter.

Everyone but Bruno ran. Bruno stayed where he was. He didn't want to leave me, even though he needed to.

Abigor never got a spell on me, but he drained my energy. He was as good at blocking spells as me. I had to protect Bruno too.

I didn't mind him backing me into a corner, I could escape, but Bruno was getting too close. I couldn't protect him and fight Abigor at the same time.

Bruno was almost mirroring me behind Abigor. He looked like he wanted to attack Abigor, but didn't know what to do. He ended up throwing a random plate at Abigor's head, landing it.

Abigor looked at Bruno and raised his wand. I thought he was going to hit Bruno, but instead he flicked his wand and sent out a Patronus.

No.

He was calling his army.

I started fighting him again, Bruno staying in a ball in the corner. Ten seconds later a spell hit my back, me reflexively dropping my wand.

Hands wrapped around me, and everything went black.