Chapter 8

The town's seamstress, Maria, doted over me one last time.

"Little loose right there...

"Needs some trimming...

"Maybe some extra ribbon..."

My wedding dress was complete (or maybe not, according to Maria), and I was at my last fitting three days before the wedding. It was a simple dress; the top fell off my shoulders and it was all lined in pale green. White fabric hugged my sides until it reached my knees, then it started flowing out in white and green ripples. I had plain white flats for my shoes, and I had picked baby pink carnations to hold as I walked down the isle.

I would be walking alone down the isle, as I didn't have a father to walk with me. I chose Julia to be my bridesmaid, her being my best friend and I didn't want to hog all of Bruno's sisters. I didn't know who Bruno chose for groomsmen. Julia's bridesmaid dress was bright green, like my usual skirt, and in her usual dress style.

Now everything was ready.

                                   ●●●

I paced the floor, sweating and waiting for my entrance. Julia had walked in a few moments ago, which meant it wouldn't be long now. My hair, up in a bun that turned into a braid, flicked around every time I turned.

The doors slowly began opening, and I hurried to my marked spot in the middle, standing straight and holding the bouquet in front of my stomach.

The music started playing, and I began walking at a pace that matched the music. Step, stop, step, stop. I only saw Bruno. I didn't see Tia Inez or Alma -Abuela- crying in their respective rows. All I saw were those beautiful hazel eyes that had ruptured me for almost two years. I blinked, feeling the tears starting to flow.

I reached the alter, turning my back on Tia Inez to face Bruno.

"Please be seated!" The priest said to the room.

"We are gathered here today to witness the union of Athena Ophelia Marrow and Bruno Oscar Madrigal in holy matrimony."

I didn't pay much more attention to the priest, only looking into Bruno's eyes, wondering what the future had in store for us.

"And now, you may begin your vows." The priest looked at me.

"Bruno, you are the first person I want to see in the morning and the last at night. I look forward to loving the smallest moments. Spin a coin into a fountain and make a wish for us. You are my wish come true. I love you." I said through tears and shaky breaths.

The priest looked at Bruno.

"Athena, you are my other half. You are the one that makes me laugh when I'm sad, makes me consider when I want to be rash, and finds me when I am lost. I swear to love you forever and always." He was crying now too.

Rings were exchanged, and now those two little words were being spoken.

"I do." I said, tears making my mouth salty.

"I do." Bruno said with more emotion than I've ever heard from him.

"You may now kiss the bride!"

Our lips met, and all felt right in the world. Bruno and I were husband and wife.

We walked down the isle arm in arm, flurries of congratulations coming from every direction. We had the reception party outside in the plaza, enough tables to fit everyone and a huge open space for dancing.

Tia Inez, Abuela, Julieta and Pepa came up to us first, congratulating us with all their hearts. Through the whole party, tears never stopped flowing from my eyes, I was so happy.

Bruno and I danced for two hours before people started leaving, and we decided to go home. Home was the Casita now.

I had already packed up my things, and they were sitting on Tia Inez's doorstep in my bag. She was sitting on the doorstep waiting for us too.

"Extra cargo?" I joked.

She laughed, "just wanted to see my best niece off." She was smiling brighter than the sun. I gave her an enormous hug, departing with my bag and a kiss on her cheek.

We practically skipped back to the Casita and up to Bruno's Tower. No one was around, thank the gods. The second Bruno and I were inside his bedroom, he shoved me against the wall and kissed me with more passion than ever before. I didn't complain. I kissed him back with as much passion, losing my bag to the floor.

One of my hands found his shirt and began unbottoning it while the other got tangled in his hair. He let go of me so that I could slide his shirt off of him, and we moved so we were over his bed.

Still never separating, Bruno began working at the buttons on the back of my dress. I ended up having to help him, as I had to slide the dress up and over to get out.

Our chests were both bare, and we both stared at the other. After having drank up enough of each other's image, we started again. I was pinned on the bed, Bruno's mouth never leaving mine, and I began to work at his pants. A button, a zipper, and I started sliding them down. Kneeling, he slid my underwear down and off, leaving me bare.

We pulled apart, panting, and looking at each other. I leaned up and put my mouth back on his, and my thoughts evaded me as we had the best night of our lives.