Chapter 2: Safety Zone

Yeona's POV 🦋

Monday morning comes, and I feel much more confident as I enter the elevator. When I turn around to face the metal door, I find myself face to face with Tae and Jungkook as they slide into the elevator with me. Immediately I look down, as if I focus hard enough on the crisscross design that adorns the metal floor, I can somehow convince myself we will cease to exist in this space together. Sighing inwardly, there is nowhere for me to hide.

"Hi, Yeona! Are you having an easier time finding your way around the building?" Tae asks immediately, and I feel my heart begin to race as I look up to see him and Jungkook glancing at me. Tae looks dashing in a white button-down dress shirt and tan pants; he looks like he's ready to walk the runway, while Jungkook looks like he just stepped into a Harley Davidson ad complete with a leather jacket and black jeans, his hair tied back in a half pony-tail. He so looks the part that I wonder if he, in fact, rode one into the office.

"It's going so much better; I finally understand where I'm going!" I chuckle, resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to get used to sharing the same air as this gorgeous creature, even though this was never my plan.

"Those paper maps they give out are something else, huh?" Jungkook offers with a soft smile. "It looks like a preschooler drew them!"

"Oh well, I still carry one in my pocket. Just in case...though...I think it may hinder more than help at this point," I laugh, happy that he agrees the layout is confusing.

"We should make an app to help. The entire building would use it!" he laughs. "I'm Jungkook, by the way."

"Yeona," I offer with a polite nod, knowing damn well who he is.

"Nice to finally meet you. Tae told me about the tour he gave you last week," Jungkook says absentmindedly; a wave of shock washes over me when I learn I was a topic of conversation.

My eyes dart over to Tae; he makes eye contact with me, but instead of shying away, he grins at me, leaving me breathless once again. "I had to tell Jungkookie how well you listened to Ranger Jimin and me and kept your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times," Tae adds, his deep voice leaves me practically quivering.

"Well, I appreciate the praise. I'm also glad you saved me from that wild Namjoon sighting," I reply. I notice Jungkook's eyes shift between Tae and me as we amuse each other.

I can't even describe what Tae's voice sounds like in this tiny elevator; his tone is the sweetest melody I've ever heard. No interview or video footage online could have ever prepared me for listening to his voice bounce around a five-foot by four-foot metal box, and it shakes me to the core. A wave of relief washes over me as the elevator doors swing open on my floor, and I feel like I can finally escape the overload of my senses, only to find Tae following me out of the metal box.

"See you around, Jungkookie," Tae calls out and starts walking with me down the hallway; I wonder where he is going knowing that his workspace definitely is not on this floor.

"Are you still in orientation with Hana?" Tae asks while I get used to the fact that he seems like a genuinely friendly and curious guy.

"No, we finished last week. I'm actually on my way to see my desk for the first time!" The excitement wells up inside me, and I can't help but have it spill out of me.

"Oh, this is fantastic," he replies as we pass through the break area while heading towards my office. "I can't wait to see it too!"

What is happening right now? I think to myself in disbelief.