Chapter 18: I Don't Wanna Be Sober

Yeona's POV 🦋

I've settled back into my routine back at home, but I'm paying dearly for being gone. My mother just keeps coming back to hurl insults any time she gets a chance. Reminding me I am nothing, and that I'm out on my ass if I go on another trip.

"I know. I already told work I can't travel for work anymore," I say, trying to appeal to even a shred of reasoning my mother may be capable of buried under the bitterness. "I know it was a lot on you, and I promise this was it. I will have enough money for that new washer when I get my next paycheck," I add, trying desperately to defuse the situation.

"You better," she huffs as she leans on her cane, looking down at me as if I'm a piece of dirt. "Miss Fancy Photographer, you are so lucky you finally found a use for that stupid degree you insisted on getting. Honestly, I don't know who you think you are. Don't forget where you come from, Yeona. You don't belong with those people. You're just a fleeting novelty like you are to everyone else, never able to hold someone's attention. They will throw you away before you know it. Why don't you get out while you have a shred of dignity?"

I continue to fold the pile of laundry in front of me and keep my eyes steady on it, refusing to react, keeping my face in check and my mouth closed as we fall into silence. Finally, she tires of my silence and waddles away, a smug look on her face like she has won some kind of contest. I inhale and keep going with my chores, flashing back to the words Tae whispered in my ear.

She'll never be able to take that away from me.

💜

I wake up before my alarm and use the extra time to scroll through my phone.

Sasaeng does it again! Posts pics of V in Bed with a Woman!

Oh my god!

I open the story as fast as I can, and there it is, a fuzzy photo of Taehyung wrapped around me; luckily, it was from the first night we spent together, so we are fully clothed, and thank goodness my arm is lying in front of my face shielding my identity. I realize the lack of clarity is due to the fact that the picture was taken from the other side of the French doors on my balcony during our stay.

That crazy stalker was right outside my room? How did they know where to find us?

I'm out of my bedroll and rushing around to get ready for work as fast as I can. Nobody can find out my identity, I will absolutely ruin Tae's entire career, and I am panicked. Panicked for him, panicked for my family.

My mother is right! I ruin everything! Hell no, not this time!

During my ride on the train, I can't stop looking at all the stories that are popping up as the leaked photo spreads across the internet. Rubbing my hand across my chest, I try to breathe, but it feels like someone is constricting my air flow.

This can't be happening!

When I get to work, I rush to Hana's office, running full speed down the hallway; I'm out of breath by the time I find her taking off her coat, and about to settle down at her desk.

"Yeona, are you okay?" she asks.

"We have to talk!"

💜

Tae's POV 🎺

The nervousness in my stomach grows, no matter how many times this sasaeng has hit at me over the weeks I've taken it in stride, but this is the first time they have printed an actual real photo, and the fact that it puts Yeona in harm's way has made me beyond angry.