~ fin~

Chapter 26: You Got the Best of Me

Yeona's POV 🦋

"Nobody wanted my office, huh?" I laugh as Hana greets me in the hallway.

"Imagine that! Only you could find it in you to appreciate a closet for as an office," she smiles as she walks me over to her desk to finish signing all my information and to reinstate my benefit selections.

As I sign the last page, I sit back satisfied, my heart happy to be back and to finally be able to be myself, the person I've been hiding for so many years, and it's like I can finally breathe for the first time in my life.

"How was Blossom when you dropped her off at the center?" Hana asks as she slides my paperwork into a neat pile to enter into the system later.

"She almost forgot to hug me goodbye; she was so excited! I guess I'm the only one with separation anxiety in this duo," I laugh. "I'm really glad she is just a floor away. This is a great transition until she's old enough to attend school. I'm grateful," I say, trying not to let my emotions get the best of me.

"I know you are. I'm sure he knows, too," Hana says, patting my hand knowingly.

"Thanks. Am I all set to get started?" I reply, trying to brush off what she is saying so I don't start thinking about how much I miss Taehyung in my life.

"Yes! Eun-Ji already had IT issue you a laptop, and it's waiting on your desk. You'll just have to reset your password when you're prompted," Hana smiles as she begins to rise.

"Sit! Sit! I know the way," I wink and thank her as I head to my office with my lunch bag in tow.

"Fuck me; it's good to be back!" I utter as I push my office door open.

"Why do I always catch you using the "F" word every time you start working here?" the familiar voice says from behind me, and the skin on the back of my neck prickles, knowing Tae is right behind me.

Taking a few steps forward, I set my lunch bag down, trying to compose myself as I instantly begin trembling. Turning around to face Taehyung, my heart thumps in my chest, my legs shaky below me.

I knew we would have to face each other eventually, but I never thought it would be on my first day back. He looks so handsome in a pair of black dress pants and a white button-down rolled up at the elbows that I can barely hold my composure. It feels like years since we've seen each other.

"Tae," I utter. "I thought you were still out west."

"I needed to see you," he breathes out. "I missed you. Can I shut this door, please...." he whispers, and I nod my consent.

Searching his eyes and seeing all the sincerity in them makes the butterflies take flight in my stomach. "I was afraid you may never talk to me again," I begin, but I can't seem to choke out any other words as I begin to fight back the tears threatening my eyes.

"I built an entire center for you and Blossom; how could you ever believe that? I love you, Yeona. Nothing has changed in my heart. Not what happened that night you escaped, not when I found out about Blossom, not when we had that fight. My heart is never going to change."

His words are more than I ever could have asked for, and I close the gap between us, staring at him intently as if trying to determine if he is just a mirage I've imagined, "So where do we go from here?" I ask, my hands trembling as I ask the question I'm terrified to ask.

"Anywhere you want, Yeona," he says as he gently slides his hands into mine. They feel soft and familiar. "I know that Blossom is your sun, but maybe I could be your moon? I never stopped loving you, and I'll gladly take second place if you'll have me," he says quietly.

It took me months of becoming friends with all the members to realize they were all cheering us on and hoping Tae and I would find a way back to each other. As my friendship has grown with each of the members, I found that nobody judged my past or our budding friendships, and being in each other's lives has been easier than I ever thought it would be. The only barriers I have been putting between Tae and me were ones I was conditioned to put there, but one by one, I've been working on freeing myself of those old shackles.

"I want to see where this goes, you and me, Yeona. Come what may, I'm ready for it," he says, hooking a finger under my chin and staring into my eyes as if trying to find something he's lost.

"I love you," I breathe out, and then I find myself melting into him, feeling his body warn against me, and it's as if my last puzzle piece was finally put in place.

"Can I kiss you?" he sighs.

"Always," I whisper as I lean up on my tippy toes and lose myself in the feel of his soft lips on me, my fingers curling up into his hair as he wraps his arms around me. He picks me up, places me on my desk, and kisses me for what feels like days; my heart finally feeling whole.

"We'll start over," he finally says between kisses. "Dates. Dinner. I'll slowly get to know Blossom and make sure she likes me," he explains. "I don't want to push that relationship too hard. I want to be respectful of both of you."

Kissing him back, I'm nodding, agreeing with him in awe.

"We don't have to rush, but I have at least six friends and Lily, who would babysit in an instant," he chuckles.

I crash against his lips again, I've never felt this way about anyone, and I'm so thankful for his patience and understanding.

"What do you say, you want to start walking this life together?" he finally asks.

"I'm ready," I sigh, and for the first time in my life, I feel like I've found my home.

~fin~