Chapter 19: Mic, Mic Bungee

Tae's POV 🎺

Taking a deep breath, I feel myself shaking all over; I know Yeona never wanted to discuss living at home, but here I am at her front door, ready to risk it all to get her to come back and work for BH. I need to be able to see her face even if she can't date me.

The sound of my knuckles against the old wooden door echoes down the hallway, and I wince at the sound interrupting the silence.

The door swings open suddenly, taking me by surprise.

"Can I help you?" an old woman asks suspiciously. She comes on strong like a tornado as she leans on a cane cocking an eyebrow at me.

"Yes, please. My name is Kim Taehyung. I'm here to speak with Yeona if she is available...." I trail off, wondering if I have the wrong address after all.

"Yeona! Somebody is here to see you!" the woman yells, and something tells me this is a preferred method of communication.

"Mother, I'm not expecting anyone."

I hear Yeona saying with a slightly paranoid tone when she appears behind her, "Tae, what are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you. I couldn't find you at work..." I trail off feeling uncomfortable as the old woman hasn't budged as if she is creating a wall between Yeona and me.

"Ahhh, I see," says Yeona's mother. "This boy doesn't realize you finally smartened up and quit. Don't be too long, Yeona. You still have to make dinner," she huffs and walks away dramatically, clacking her cane against the floor.

"Tae, what are you doing here? It's too dangerous being seen with me," she whispers as she looks down the hallway in both directions and then tugs me just inside her apartment door, shutting it closed.

"You don't have to be afraid anymore. They caught the sasaeng. They are going after him right now. Nothing will hurt you; you can come back to work now," I say quietly. My eyes taking in her beautiful face, I just want to take her in my arms, but I don't dare.

"I can't, Tae. There will be another one and another one after that, and I will ruin your reputation. I keep trying to tell you, you don't know everything about me."

Suddenly, I hear a stampede of footsteps and a tiny being slides into view. A pretty little girl with almond eyes is staring up at me. "Ooooh! Tae-Tae!" she claps. "Tae-Tae is here!"

"Oh, you know me?" I say, surprised, instantly taken by this tiny beauty.

"Of course," she giggles.

"Is this your niece?" I ask as she makes grabby hands at me, and I pick her up without any hesitation.

"That's my Mama, silly!" the little girl says as she gently grabs my cheeks and squishes them in her tiny cheeks. "My Mama loves me!"

Freezing in place for a moment, my brain goes blank. Looking between the little sweetheart in my arms and then to Yeona, it dawns on me that little one looks just like Yeona. "Oooh, of course!" I force myself to say. "Yes, your Mama is the best!"

"What is your name?"

"Blossom! Mama says I'm prettier than any Lotus Blossom!"

I gently set the child on her feet, making sure she is steady. My eyes returning to Yeona. "Yes, yes you are!"

"Tae-Taeeeee!" she squeals and takes off running.

"Princess, Blossom, be careful as you run. I don't want my sweet girl to fall!" I hear Yeona's mother say, and I'm shocked at how different she is with the little girl than she was with Yeona.