Chapter 3: Sweeter than Sweet

Yeona's POV 🦋

It's been a few weeks since I've settled into my job, and I feel so comfortable and happy. Holed up in my little office, I've been examining proofs from the latest merchandise photography session. Some might find a task like this tedious; or find me bizarre for the level of scrutiny I use when discerning which photos we will use on the website, but I'm determined to prove I am dedicated to doing a good job.

My concentration breaks when Eun-Ji knocks on the door jamb, "Hi there! How is it going in here?"

"Great! I'm just picking out the photos for the new Bangtan keychain," I reply, nodding at the proofs splayed across a large additional monitor I have hooked up to my laptop. "What do you think?"

"I think I don't need to check your work. You've more than proven you have taken to this position like a fish to water."

I blush in reply. This is the first time anyone has ever told me I was good at something, and I don't even know how to process the compliment. I'm instantly elated, but almost feel like I could shed tears at the same time; this feeling is so overwhelming I have to force myself to act normal. "Thank you so much," I utter, feeling the heat rising in my cheeks.

"So, the reason I'm stopping by is I heard a rumor that you have more than a little interest in photography and I wanted to know if you would like to shadow an actual shoot?" Eun-Ji asks, a smile dancing upon her lips.

I'm more than a little confused because I have shadowed several shoots since I began at BH, but I decide quickly to just go with the flow and agree so I don't lose out on any opportunities that come my way. "I love the merchandise shoots you've been letting me shadow; I'd love to continue...!" I say, nodding enthusiastically.

"No, I mean for the talent. Would you like to shadow an Idol shoot?"

Eun-Ji's eyes steady on me as I feel every nerve in my body react. The excitement courses through me instantly, and I feel like I may be visually shaking "Me? Really?" I trail off in disbelief.

"Yeona, if this is something you aren't interested in, you can be honest with me. I want everyone on the team to build their strengths, but if this isn't your passion, then you don't hav...."

"I want to! I'm sorry I didn't mean to hesitate. I just never dreamed that I would be given an opportunity like this," I reply without hesitation this time. "I'm a bit stunned...but I'm thrilled!"

"Excellent. I still need to confirm that it's okay and nail down the details. I'll come by in the morning and let you know if we are a go!" Eun-Ji smiles as she turns to leave.

"Hey, Eun-Ji," I call out before she disappears into the hallway.

"Yes," she pauses and looks back at me.

"Who told you that I'm passionate about photography? I feel like I should thank them for putting the wheels in motion!" I ask as I think about the handful of people who may have shared this information.

"I'm sure they will tell you if they want you to know. Just know I will keep you in mind when opportunities like this arise. You're a hard worker, and I appreciate that. See you in the morning!" Eun-Ji explains with a soft smile, and although she didn't reveal her source, I feel like she genuinely has the best interests of her team in mind. It's rare to come across such a great manager, and I feel so appreciative of how I've lucked out being on her team.

I sit back in my chair and replay our conversation in my head a few times to make sure I've really absorbed everything Eun-Ji told me. When I'm interrupted one more time by Hana appearing in my doorway.

"Hi, I'm sorry if I'm interrupting. I was wondering if you had time to go to lunch....maybe... maybe you'd like to join me?" Hana asks shyly.

"You aren't interrupting; I need to be interrupted, or I'd just eat at my desk! I'd love to have lunch with you!" I try and reflect my sincerity in my voice so that Hana knows I really meant it when I said I'd have lunch with her anytime. She really is the sweetest, and I hate to think about how so much of the staff avoids her.