Chapter 17: Closer than We've Ever Been

Yeona's POV 🦋

Finishing up my bath, I dry myself and indulge in wearing the soft luxurious robe the hotel provided. It would truly be laughable to someone with the means to afford such things, but to me, this bathrobe is the most expensive item to ever touch my skin. I run my brush through my hair, and I finally feel relaxed and ready for a quiet night.

I pad toward the bed, placing my phone down on the nightstand so I can continue enjoying the music when I am interrupted by a quiet knocking at the door adjoining our rooms. Freezing in place, I look down at my robe; I'm not sure if I should answer, but then what would Tae think I was doing? Freezing him out? I can't do that.

I open the door a tiny bit so just my face is revealed, peeking around the door, and I smile softly at a clean and showered Tae. "Hi," I say gently, not knowing what else to say.

"Hi. Looks like we both had the same idea," he chuckles as he looks at my still-damp hair.

"Yes, it was a big day. It felt good to refresh and clean up," I say, trying to keep from sounding awkward.

"Why are you hiding?" Tae asks as he scrunches his nose.

"Umm, because I wasn't expecting company, and I'm standing in a robe," I chuckle, feeling embarrassed.

Tae slowly pushes the door open, and I step aside, letting him see me, unsure if I should be. "I'm a park ranger; I've seen anything and everything you can imagine," he jokes as he slides his hands into the pockets of his navy pajama pants, another white t-shirt top hugging his chest as he leans against the door jamb. He looks like a model even when he doesn't mean to, and it is a little unsettling sometimes.

"Well, as a park guest, I was trying to follow the park rules," I joke back, happy that we can fall back into our characters; it feels reassuring, like all is right in the world. His hand lazily falls from his pocket as he quietly grabs the sash around my robe, tugging me toward him until we are so close I begin to panic.

"Tae, what are you doing?" I whisper as I look down, afraid to look at him.

He hooks his finger under my chin, guiding my face upward until I'm staring deep into his dark eyes. "Looking at you. You're all I can think about."

"Tae, please, don't say that," I scoff, but my skin prickles, and I begin to quiver under his touch.

"I will say that. I need to say that. Yeona, please, do you not see how wonderful you are? How talented and beautiful? You're the smartest women I've ever met...."

"Tae....please....I can't take these compliments...."

"You must. You have to; I can't keep trying to hide how I feel just because I've been afraid of losing you and our friendship. Losing our daily interactions, or miss seeing you push your glasses up the bridge of your nose," he says, and I'm beside myself by his admission. Blushing, I'm caught off guard while my fingers are on my glasses, conducting the very act at this very moment.

"I uhh, I thought we were just worked friends...." I stutter. I had imagined a million times over that maybe....just maybe... he felt the chemistry between us, but I had given up that notion months ago.

I melt as he closes the gap between us; his strong arm slides around my waist until I'm resting gently against his chest, "Is this okay?" he asks for consent.

"Yes," I reply with a slight gasp.

Softly he brushes my cheek with his thumb affectionately, "Yeona, don't you know I've been carrying a torch for you since the day we met?"

Immediately I'm lost in a sea of memories. Our shoulders pressed together during so many talks, the comfort we've shown each other in so many ways, the way he's the only man I've ever felt this connected to, and so many things that must have seemed so obvious to anyone else suddenly becomes clear to me.