The Climb - Y/N's POV

Warnings: Swearing

Word Count: 886

The ground was cold and the place was dark. I don't know how long it's been. Then, I heard something. A faint, dropping noise. Like... water? I pulled myself off the floor and slowly crept towards it. It was a small puddle formed by dripping water. I don't know where the water came from. I peered into it and saw... me. 

"You got into quite the trouble, huh?" my reflection asked. I stared at it in surprise. "That's what you get for helping people."

"I don't regret it," I snapped. "Their lives mean more than mine."

My reflection gazed at me sadly. "Are you ready to move on?" 

"What?" I asked. Move on?

"To a better place. Away from here. Away from hurt," my reflection eyed me slowly, waiting for my response. "No more sadness, no more problems." 

"You mean, am I ready to die?" I asked.

"Are you ready to leave this world. Not die." 

"Where will I go?" I asked.

"Are you ready?" 

I took a moment to think about it. This world has been nothing but pain, and loss, and troubles.... except for- except for one thing. One person. The person that mattered the most. I remembered what I wrote in the notebook in the church. Johnny. 

"No," I said, shaking my head. "I'm not."

"Are you sure?" my reflection asked. "You haven't got no one. Your Dad isn't the same. You're stepmother hates you to bits- If you go, you'll be with your real mother." 

My reflection shifted into my mother's sweet face. "Come on, sweetie, let's go," she said, holding her arms out to me. I clutched my locket around my neck, tears swimming down my face. 

"You're right," I said, slowly. "Life sucks." 

My mother looked at me, smiling, waiting for me. 

"But you're wrong. I got the gang. And I'm not ready to leave." 

My mother shifted back to my reflection, who looked at me with respect. "So, you've made your choice. The path back will be difficult. There is a chance you won't even make it back in time. Good luck." 

The puddle vanished, and a giant wall grew in front of my eyes. This was it. I ran my fingers over the rock and grasped a ledge. This was the climb. I could hear faint whispers echo around me, and eventually, they grew closer. 

"Are you sure you want to do this to your daughter? It hasn't been two weeks yet."

"I'm sure. Pull the plug." I would recognize that voice anywhere. Margaret. I started climbing faster, and it all made sense. This was a coma. And this was my fight out. I don't know how she convinced my father and B/N. But I wasn't going without a fight. 

Ledge after ledge, I scaled up the wall. My arms and legs screamed, but higher I went. I couldn't see the ground anymore. 

"Dad, please!" It was B/N. I heard a loud sound, a cracking sound. 

"Shut up, kid," Dad said. "We didn't need her anyways." 

Tears dripped down and I pulled myself onto a large ledge and curled up. I was never getting out of here. I might as well accept my fate. The puddle was right. I'm not wanted in the world. So what's the use trying?

"Get outta here!" I heard my Dad shout.

"Tell them it ain't true!" Was that- Dally? 

"It's true, we've decided. This is what she gets for hanging out with you delinquents. This is your doing."

"Bitch, get out!" Dally screamed. "Hey, Y/N," I heard. He was...crying. Dallas Winston, tough as a nail. Was crying. "We won, we beat the Socs. We stomped them - chased them outa our territory." There was no response. Just the beeping of the machines. Dally nervously licked his lips. "They're still writing editorials about you in the paper. For being a hero and all. Yeah, they're calling you a hero now and heroizin' all the greasers. We're all proud of you, doll."

"Dally?" I asked, sitting up. "I'm here! I can hear you!" 

"Y/N, you're a great big sister. I always wanted a sister." It was Ponyboy.

"Pony! Please! I'm still here!" I shouted, grasping the next ledge and continuing up. 

"Yeah, you're a great little sister," B/N said. "You're such a little punk, you know that? Scaring me and running off to the West. You're so brave, kid. I- I love you, Y/N." 

"Don't say that!" I screamed. "Don't! I'm coming!" 

It was silent after that, and I broke down crying, clinging onto the wall. This was the end. But then... 

"Come on, man, you can't give up now. You're so strong and gallant. You gotta come back."

"Johnny?" I gasped. "Johnny!" The sound of his voice gave me the strength I needed to continue. 

"You just gotta. I can't keep doing this without you. Damnit, Y/N, why didn't you just listen to me? I told you we shoulda left! You just had to save those blasted kids!" 

"Johnny! I'm right here! Please!" I shouted, rushing up the wall. My arms felt like they were going to give out, but I kept going.

"You're too good for this world. But please, please come back!"

"I am!" I shouted. 

"I need you, I love you." 

I stopped climbing, my eyes widening. Johnny, loved me? 

"I love you too," I sobbed. My heart pounded inside my chest, and I climbed faster than ever. That was the last of his voice I heard. The next voices were doctors, scrambling. I just had to make it. I had to. For Johnny. 

~My Cade~ // Johnny Cade x Reader ("the outsiders" plot base)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara