Pulling the Plug - Johnny's POV

Warnings: Swearing

Word Count: 788

Ponyboy and I sat tense in the seat. I sat in the front next to Dally with Ponyboy in the chair behind. We were on Tenth when a police car came up to us. 

"Look sick," Dally told us. "I'll say I'm taking you to the hospital, which'll be truth enough." 

I immediately went limp and messed up my hair a little. The policeman looked at me with pity and disgust. Then at Pony with the same face. "All right, buddy, where's the fire?"

"The kids," Dally said, pointing at us. "They fell over trying to ride a motorcycle. I'm taking them to the hospital." Pony groaned and flopped over. We looked pretty bad.

"Is he real bad? Do you need an escort?"

"How would I know if he's bad or not? I ain't no doc. Yeah, we could use an escort." Dally said. The policeman got into the car and Dally smiled, saying "Sucker!" 

We made record time to the hospital with Dally lecturing Pony and I. I wasn't listening though, I was too worried. Margaret. I had heard so much about her it felt like I knew her. Y/N hated her to hell. And from what I know, Margaret hated her more. I chewed on my fingernail as Dally pretended to help us out of the car. As soon as the cop was gone, we all rushed into the hospital and into Y/N's room. The doctor stopped us, saying "I'm sorry, boys, but we're going to have to pull the plug."

"WHAT?" I screamed, shaking the doctor. "No! That can't be right!" 

"The parents decided. I'm sorry," he said. 

Dally flicked out Two-Bit's switchblade. "We gotta see her! She's our family! And if you give me any static, you'll end up on your own operatin' table." The doctor just gave us a pitiful look.

"You can say your goodbyes," he said, letting us through. We burst into Y/N's room, where her father and her brother and Margaret were waiting.

"Get outta here!" said her father. He was reeling pickled. Dally put Two-Bit's switchblade to his neck. 

"Tell them it ain't true," he demanded. 

"It is true," Margaret said, in a sweet voice. "We've decided."

A tear ran down Dally's cheek. I had never seen Dally cry. He collapsed by Y/N's bed, dropping the switchblade.

"This is what she gets for hanging out with you delinquents," Margaret said, sweetly. "This is your doing." 

Dally got up to her face, seething. "Bitch, get out!" 

Margaret just took Y/N's dad by the hand and led him out. It was just us and B/N now. 

"Hey, Y/N," Dally said, softly. "We won, we beat the Socs. We stomped them - chased them outa our territory." There was no response. Just the beeping of the machines. Dally nervously licked his lips. "They're still writing editorials about you in the paper. For being a hero and all. Yeah, they're calling you a hero now and heroizin' all the greasers. We're all proud of you, doll." 

"Y/N," Pony said through tears. "You're a great big sister. I always wanted a sister." 

"Yeah, you're a great little sister," B/N said, stroking her forehead. "You're such a little punk, you know that? Scaring me and running off to the West. You're so brave, kid. I- I love you, Y/N." 

I couldn't bring myself to say anything in front of them. I just grabbed her hand and cried on the floor. We stayed there for a few minutes before the doctor escorted Dally and Pony and B/N out. I insisted that I'd leave in just a few minutes alone. My sleeve was drenched with tears, and so was Y/N's hand. 

"Come on, man," I said, slowly. "You can't give up now. You're so strong and gallant. You gotta come back..." 

I wiped the tears off of my face. 

"You just gotta. I can't keep doing this without you. Damnit, Y/N, why didn't you just listen to me" I shouted, sobbing. "I told you we shoulda left! You just had to save those blasted kids-" 

I fell onto her lap, grasping her hands tightly. "You're too good for this world. But please, please come back!" At this point, I was begging God, anyone. 

"I need you," I said, my voice breaking. "I, I love you." 

The doctors came back in, but I didn't even want to see it. I ran out, covering my face with my sleeve, rushing past Dally and Pony, pushing past anyone and everyone. The world was a blur. This wasn't real. This had to be some kind of bad dream or something. Y/N has gotta still be back at the Curtis house doing who knows what.