bookstore; m.mn

Neutral Reader

You sighed in relief the moment you stepped inside the quiet bookstore. The people rushing about outside as they tried to finish up shopping were erased from your mind, your senses focusing only on the numerous books at your reach. Your fingers grazed the dusty book covers, showing just how many people were really interested in literature. Your nostrils took in the intoxicating scent of old paper and new books alike, making you smile. Your masked footsteps echoed around the small room as you gazed at the tall shelves.

The cashier who worked here, Maria, had informed you of the newest edition of the series you'd been following. It was pretty popular, so you hoped to purchase one before it sold out. So, you headed straight to the nearest shop.

You tried to pry your eyes away from all the other welcoming books, whispering to yourself that you only had enough money for one book, and you knew exactly what you wanted to get.

Once you reached the very back, you spotted it immediately. Its beautiful emerald cover was intricately engraved with gold patterns. You reached up and was about to lay a finger on its spine when another hand intercepted yours.

Without meaning to your hand brushed against the stranger's, and you couldn't help but relish the feeling of their warmth. You turned, meeting a girl's eyes. "Um, hello. Are you going to buy that?" you asked, gesturing to the book in her hands.

Are you stupid, Y/N? A voice in your head hissed. Why would she get it if she wasn't going to buy it?

Hey, maybe she just wanted to look, you retorted.

You didn't notice the girl scanning you from head to toe, taking in the scarf around your mouth and the slightly oversized sweater that hung off your figure. "Yes. I suppose you wanted this, too?"

"Mmm," you hummed, glancing back up. "Unfortunately that seems to be the last one."

"Yes," she said amusedly. "Do you want it?" She offered the book to you, and although your mind screamed at you to take it and run, your heart disagreed.

"Oh, no. I can wait for the next stock."

"But it would take a while!"

"Haha, yeah," you said nervously, rubbing the back of your neck. You couldn't even order food without being awkward, much less hold a whole conversation with someone you didn't know. That changed when the girl spoke again, though.

"My name is Mina," the girl smiled, extending a hand. "And uh, I hope I don't sound creepy, but where do you live? I feel like I've seen you before."

She's too beautiful to be a stalker, you thought. "I'm Y/N, and I live in an apartment nearby, on the 16th floor. You?"

"No way," Mina gasped. "I live there, too! On the same floor! And I bet you're my neighbor."

Your eyes widened when you realized that, yes, you had seen her before. But it was when you were rushing to get to work early, so you didn't stop by to chat.

"Hey, I have an idea," she stated. "How about I purchase this book, and you can come over and read with me?"

"I-I, uh," you stuttered. You shouldn't seem too eager, but you shouldn't act uninterested either. Clearing your throat, you pulled down your sleeves. "Yeah, sure. But are you sure you want to pay for it? I can treat you.."

Mina grinned, showing off her gummy smile and making your heart beat faster. "You can treat me some other time. Maybe we can grab a coffee together?"

Was she asking you out?

"Um, yeah, sure," you replied lamely. Biting your lip awkwardly, you tried again. "Yes, of course. Maybe.. later?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "Here, by the way. Don't lose it." She stuffed a crumpled piece of paper into your hand and winked, waving on her way to the cashier. "Don't forget to text me the time and location, cutie."

You just stood there dumbstruck, smiling subconsciously when you recalled her smile.

Hey, you just scored a date, after all.

_________________

hallo! how are you? me, i don't know. am i good or not? anyway, i can't say i'm back for sure. but right now, i can say that i'm sleepy.

ok im gonna go now. baibai ໒(・ᴥ・)७