apparently it's not hate; h.mm

Neutral Reader

"You don't know seven times three? What the actual-?" You exclaimed, throwing up your hands in both exasperation and amusement. In the action, pencils rolled to the floor and several notebooks slipped down to your lap. Momo scowled and rolled her eyes, stuffing a couple of chips into her mouth.

"Dude, I had a brain fart. Let me think, you're distracting me!"

"Seven times three, Hirai!" you repeated. "It's literally seven plus seven plus seven! And I'm distracting you? Well, if you weren't such an idiot, you'd know something as basic as that."

The frown on Momo's face deepened. She put down her bag of chips and turned to face you. "Me, an idiot? Just because I forget things doesn't mean I'm an idiot. Don't be a loser, L/N."

"Stupid."

"Ugly."

"You're going there? Greedy."

"Lazy."

"Fat."

"Ugh, I hate you."

"I hate you more!"

"Well, I hate you morer!"

"That's not even a word!"

"If you hate each other so much," Dahyun said slowly, "then stop holding hands."

You looked horrified at the suggestion. "What? This idiot has no sense of direction! She'd get lost two feet away from the table."

Momo didn't argue, instead watching as Nayeon and Jihyo joined you at your table. "Did you notice," the eldest started, stealing a fry from your plate, "everyone's looking at you? The tension's very visible, you know?"

Sure enough, the other students in the cafeteria were facing your little group, awkwardly glancing away when they met your glare. They started whispering to each other, some even with the audacity to point. "What tension?" you demanded, dropping Momo's hand when you felt eyes boring into them.

Jihyo sighed. "Everyone knows you two want to kiss. Yet you keep saying you hate each other. It's really painful for us, always in the middle of your fights when you so obviously want to get in a room."

It was Momo's turn to look horrified. "Y/N? Kiss Y/N? Hell, no!"

Nayeon raised an eyebrow. "Ah, whatever. Hurry up, we have a class in ten minutes."

~

You simply blinked and suddenly a volleyball game was happening. Momo was in the court in her uniform, hair tied back, though her bangs stayed in place. You watched as the ball flew from side to side, neither team wanting to lose. The enthusiastic crowd screamed insults and compliments alike for their favored group, the gym filled with shoes squeaking and loud claps whenever a point was earned.

Momo was drenched in sweat, beads of perspiration rolling down her face as if in a race while a look of extreme concentration was on her face.

If only she focused this much in classes, you thought teasingly.

But when you smiled to yourself and looked up when you felt eyes on you, you met her determined gaze, as if she were trying to prove something to you - or even impress you.

Your eyebrows met in confusion, not understanding the way you grew flustered and self-conscious under her intense gaze, your heart beating wildly like it always did when the so-called annoying idiot was around you. Sweat dripped down the back of your neck and you had trouble breathing deeply, as if you were one of the players.