aphrodite's curse; c.ty

Female Reader (narration oneshot - not much dialogue)

There once was a time when Aphrodite got jealous.

Well, she got jealous a lot, so this was one of those times. Anyway, the goddess was sitting on her throne of roses, gossiping with her maids while she received a manicure, when a particular girl on Earth caught her eye.

This girl's name was Y/N. She never did anything to anger the goddess of love, but unfortunately her existence annoyed Aphrodite. Y/N was only a simple mortal, yet men and women alike fell for her. Not just because of her physical beauty, but also because of her soft-spoken nature, welcoming eyes and helpful instinct.

This was how it went for a couple of years. Y/N did her own normal thing every day, while Aphrodite watched from Olympus, feeling very disgusted. One day, she realized that huffing, grumbling, glaring and sighing wouldn't do anything. Plus, she was bored.

So she smirked and, casting her observant gaze here and there, found the perfect person. With a snap of her fingers, Y/N was bewitched.

You were in the middle of doing homework, pencils by your side as you highlighted the important facts or dates. Suddenly you felt a light gust of wind threatening to blow your papers away. Looking up, you saw her.

Chou Tzuyu, passing by with a cup in her hand. Maybe she didn't have any plans that day, because her face was bare and a pair of glasses rested on the bridge of her nose. You've never really noticed her much despite being roommates, but now you did.

You felt an unfamiliar quick thumping of your heart when your eyes fell on her figure. Her hair swept her perfect shoulders, her slender fingers clutching a paperback book. Her sharp eyes found you, too, and you almost fell off your chair.

So that was how your problems began. At first you thought it was just a random one time thing, because you studied too much, but every time you were around Tzuyu, your palms become sweaty, breathing became a chore, and your heart beat erratically fast.

It became much worse when, after about 3 months, you coughed out your first petal. It was an April morning, and you decided to go out for a walk to see the blooming Cherry Blossoms. You smiled, taking in the fresh spring air, when you spotted Tzuyu just a few feet away from you. Your annoying nervousness came again, but this time you felt the urge to cough. You hid so as not to attract her attention, hiding behind a tree trunk and retched out a single flower petal.

It was from a red anemone. And then you knew what was up.

The anemone was Aphrodite's sacred flower, and you'd heard of the telltale symptoms of the Hanahaki disease. You glared up at the sky, muttering a 'what the fuck?' and fled, dashing to your school's library.

You picked out every single book there was about Aphrodite and Hanahaki, as well as the meanings of flowers. You decided that, yes, for some reason Aphrodite had cursed you for whatever it is that you did. There was no other explanation: there was no way you just unexpectedly gained feelings for Chou Tzuyu.

Sure, you two were roommates, but the longest time you two have stayed in a room together was when you were asleep.

You tried to hide it. It was pretty easy the first few weeks; you didn't talk much, so explaining why you had flowers in your mouth wasn't a problem. But you felt the roots grow in your lungs and the stem seemed to wrap around your throat, choking you.

5 months in and you excused yourself from a lecture, rushing to the bathroom in time only for you to spit out the now familiar red. But you noticed another color.