Chapter Two:

I shove the last of my things inside my car before turning towards Lake. One of my on and off boyfriends in high school who only has been letting me stay at his place the last few months because I'll let him have sex with me. Dull and miserable sex that only ends in him cumming, with no regard to my pleasure whatsoever.

I'm just happy to be out of this situation. For good.

Lake awkwardly pulls me in for a hug. "You can always come back if it doesn't work out."

"I'll keep that in mind." I bristle and pull away from the hug. He gives me a slightly wounded look, and I flash my smile at him to cure his doubts. I watch as his shoulders relax, and he gives me a quick kiss on the forehead. I fight the urge to wipe it off. "I'll text you." I lie and give him a quick wave of my hand before getting into my car.

I have no intent of ever speaking to him again. He's a talentless artist who has rich parents that pay for his rent; otherwise, he'd be homeless, just like me. Well, like I was, before I got this job. I glance at myself in the rearview mirror. Makeup freshly applied. Curls in my hair. I rub my lips together, blending my lipstick in.

For once, the future feels hopeful. This job is exactly what I need. It's everything I could ever want. A place all to myself—no disgusting guy attached to it. Complete freedom.

It's slightly cloudy today. They move quickly in the sky, shielding us from the sun. I've always loved Boston. Everything about it. The historic buildings, the old cobblestone roads, the lush parks. I can walk alone in the city without feeling like I'm going to get stabbed. There's so much life in the city, yet there's also a stillness about it. It feels like I've been transported to another time.

I anxiously pull into the neighborhood. Knowing I'll get to live here feels surreal. My mind can't seem to process it. I've barely been able to sleep the last two nights because I couldn't suppress my excitement.

I'm unsure of where they want me to park. With my full car of things, it'll take forever to have to carry it from the curb all the way to behind the house. But I don't want to park in the driveway in case one of them has to leave for work. Settling on leaving my car on the curb, I shove my keys in my jean pockets, then open up the back door and grab a load of things.

I carry as much as I can, piling bags until they reach my chin. Using my foot, I close the door and trudge up the stone path to the house. I'm assuming it's better to go through the side gate, so I begin down the path towards the side of the house when I hear the front door open.

"Reign, you're late!" Mrs. Bythesea flies out the front door, dressed in a work suit, her red hair in a tight bun behind her head. It makes her look older. It's not doing her any favors.

My eyebrows crease. "Am I? You told me to be here by seven. I believe it's just before."

She gives me an exasperated look. "Beck needs to be at school by eight; you don't have time to unpack your things right now. I'm running late for work because I had to get him ready, that's your job." She sleeks back her hair, the wrinkle in her forehead protruding. "Just worry about getting him to school; unpack later." She notices my car on the curb. "We aren't allowed to have cars on the curb in this neighborhood. You'll need to park in the driveway so we don't get a ticket."

My arms are shaking with the weight of everything, and I'm starting to get a headache from her screeching. It's too early for this. I take a deep breath in. "Okay, I apologize. I'll hurry and get him off to school."

She shoots me a look; somehow her chipper personality from the other day has morphed into snobby bitch. "That would be great. I won't be back until Thursday, reach out to Ellis if you have any questions." With that, she's hurrying off towards her car.