Chapter 12

Lou slid her script into her character's desk drawer. She started to run her hand over hair that was shellacked into a tight bun, but thought better of it. A wardrobe person straightened her silk blouse and adjusted the sling. "Okay, you're good to go."

Lou took a breath and slowly exhaled. "Ready."

Debbie stood on the other side of the office door. She smoothed down her crisply starched white blouse and threw her ponytail over her shoulder. "Ready."

"Okay, roll sound."

"Rolling."

"Mark!"

"Set."

"And action!"

Jane Morgan (played by one Debbie Ocean) walked into her employer's office. "You wanted to see me, ma'am?"

Jordan Ellis gave a cursory glance. "Jane, is it?"

"You don't remember me? I interviewed last month and you hired me on the spot."

Jordan turned her attention to some paperwork on her desk. "Have a seat."

Jane noticed the sling on her employer's arm. "I heard about your accident."

"Yes, an unfortunate mishap, which is why you're here."

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but you must have me confused with someone else. I don't do personal injury. You want someone from the third floor."

"You're not here to sue anyone, Jane. You're here to be my personal assistant while I'm healing."

Jane glanced through the window, out into the main office. "I just talked to your personal assistant."

"She sits at a desk. I need someone mobile. Someone who can go to court with me and be by my side while I heal."

Jane shifted in her chair and cleared her throat. "I really think you have me confused with someone else, ma'am."

"Jane Morgan. Harvard class of 2014. Had a job lined up at Wade and Paxton until I poached you away to be the first-year associate you are today. So yes, Ms. Morgan, I remember you."

"With all due respect, ma'am, you left out the part where I made Law Review. Where I worked my way through law school and busted my ass to gain the respect of not one, but two of the most prestigious firms in America. I haven't slept in three years, so you'll forgive me if I don't exactly feel honored by the chance to play caregiver... ma'am."

Fire lit up Jordan's eyes. "I'll let you know when -and if -I forgive you for that little outburst, Jane. In the meantime, did Harvard forget to tell you what first-years do? In case you missed that day, let me be clear. As a first-year associate in this esteemed firm, you do whatever the hell I tell you to do. So no, I won't forgive your little outburst. Any questions?"

Jane paused for a moment, looking rather stunned. "And if I refuse?"

Jordan raised her eyebrows. "Ms. Morgan, I assume they still teach Contract Law at Harvard. You have made a commitment to this firm and I expect you to honor it." She paused for a moment. "That will be all, Ms. Morgan."

Jane turned around to leave. As she walked out the door, the slightest smile played on Jordan's lips. And for the most fleeting of moments, it seemed as if maybe, just maybe, Jordan's gaze had dropped down to Jane's ass.

"Cut!"

Lou stayed in Jordan's chair. It had been a very long day and she was barely hanging on. The director walked over to her and pointed at Debbie who was chatting with one of the cast members.