Chapter 29

Amita knocked on the door an hour before they were supposed to leave New York. Lou let her in and went back to her suitcase. "I'll just be a minute," she muttered under her breath.

"Everything okay?" Amita knew her boss well and there was definitely tension in the air, and worry written all over her face.

Lou didn't answer right away. She continued to fold clothes and tuck them into her suitcase. "I don't know where Debbie is. We'll have to go without her."

Amita walked over and picked up a sweater to fold. "We can hold the plane," she said, hoping Lou would tell her what the hell was going on.

"No. She knows we're leaving and if she wants to stay, I have to let her."

Amita put the sweater in the suitcase and rested her hand on Lou's arm. "Why don't you tell me what's going on so I can help?"

Lou pulled her arm away and went over to the window, her arms firmly wrapped around her body. "She's with Tammy. She went for coffee with her last night and didn't come home...back...she didn't come back."

Amita shook her head in confusion. "Why are you so calm? And why the hell are you going to leave without her?"

"You don't understand."

"You're right! I don't!"

Seeming a little surprised by Amita's anger, Lou turned around and shot her a glare. "Are you yelling at me?"

"Someone needs to! You don't even know where your girlfriend is? I'd be freaking out right about now! We should call the police! We should put out an APB! It's your GIRLFRIEND, Lou! And this is New York!"

"I'm here."

Amita spun around and found Debbie standing at the door. She barely stopped herself from shouting, where the hell have you been? She turned to Lou, hoping she would yell the words, but she just stood there, staring at Debbie. The tension in the room was so thick, she decided she'd better leave. "Let me know what you want to do."

Amita tried not to make eye contact with Debbie as she brushed past her, but Debbie grabbed her arm. "Just give me a few minutes to shower and we'll go." Amita gave her a terse nod and walked out. Debbie turned her attention back to Lou. "I won't be long."

Lou ignored her, zipping up her bag and setting it on the floor. Debbie went into the bathroom, and when she came back out ten minutes later, Lou was gone.

***

"I'm sorry I yelled at you," Amita said, breaking the silence in the limo.

Lou stared blankly out the window. "It's okay. I think the person you really want to yell at, is Debbie."

"You're right. I'm pissed at her. What the hell was she thinking going off like that? For all we knew, she could've been lying dead in the subway. Or, bleeding out in Central Park, or..."

"Her brother just died." That was what Lou had been telling herself. She's fragile. Her brother just died. Don't make it worse for her.

"I don't know how that relates to her staying out all night with her hot ex-girlfriend, but okay. I guess if you can forgive her, so can I."

That made Lou crack a smile. She was lucky to have such a loyal assistant. "You've been incredible, Amita. The funeral was perfect. The flowers were gorgeous. None of that would've happened without you."

Amita swooned a little bit, tucking her brunette curls behind her ears. "Thank you. I did my best."

"He seemed like a good man, didn't he? I wish..." Lou took a breath. "I wish I could've spent more time with him before he died."