Chapter 21

The two best actors in Hollywood had been hard at work for months, spending virtually all of their time together. It was the same thing every day. Debbie would make the coffee, fill their travel mugs and grab something to eat in the car. They'd work all day, often into the night, then fall into bed, and repeat it all over again the next day. It was a rigorous schedule and Debbie loved every second of it. She was starting to believe what Lou had said about never struggling to find work again.

"Did the coffee taste different this morning? I'm not sure I got the ratio right."

Debbie stood next to Lou. "It's a new blend I'm trying."

"I didn't notice anything different." Lou adjusted the sling over her fake cast. "Has it always been your dream to be a barista, or just since you moved in with me?"

"How about I fill your mug with coffee from the Mr. Coffee in the guesthouse tomorrow morning?"

Lou snorted. "I'm really not a coffee snob."

"Quiet on the set!"

Debbie leaned in and whispered, "Yeah, I noticed you're all over that canned shit at craft services."

"Are you fishing for coffee compliments?"

The director cleared his throat. "Ladies."

"Never mind," Lou whispered.

"Roll sound."

"Rolling."

"Mark!"

"Set."

"And, action!"

Jane got off the elevator in the parking garage, walking just behind Jordan. Their satchels had been replaced with a rolling briefcase. "Are we going to talk about what just happened?"

Jordan kept walking. "Not here."

"Jordan!" Jane's voice echoed through the parking garage. They both stopped and Jordan turned around.

"Do not shout at me."

"He thought I was your assistant that he could just boss around. Make a copy of this, sweetheart. Fetch me that file, honey."

"You are my assistant. And it didn't kill you to fetch that file. You're still alive to tell the sorry tale."

"You let him disrespect me. You didn't even tell him I'm second chair. You let him -" Jane pushed past Jordan. "Never mind. If you don't get how insulting that was, then I certainly can't explain it to you."

Jordan grabbed Jane's hand. "Wait." She stepped closer, keeping hold of her hand. Jane looked down at their joined hands and then met Jordan's gaze. "If I'm not shouting to the world who my assistant really is, it's because I don't want to let them see..." Jordan's eyes fell to Jane's lips. She corrected herself and let go of Jane's hand, taking a step back and lifting her chin. "You're right. I set the standard, and I apologize for letting him treat you that way."

"If you don't say something..."

"I know. They think it's fine to treat all women that way." Jordan glanced at her feet and then met Jane's intense gaze again. "You shouldn't have to go through what I've already been through. I'll have your back."

Jane nodded. "Okay. Are we off the clock?"

Jordan looked at her watch. "As of three minutes ago."

"Can I take you to dinner? My treat?"

Jordan smiled. "Having your back gets me dinner?"

"No." Jane shook her head. "That gets you my respect. Dinner is just... neither of us having to eat alone tonight."