Chapter 24

A few weeks later, Debbie walked into the main house, phone in hand. "Lou?" She didn't get a reply, so she ran upstairs into Lou's bedroom. "Lou?" She didn't find her in the office either, so she went to the garage to see if her car was there. She opened the door and found Lou wiping down her mountain bike.

"Good morning," Lou said with a smile. A look of hurt washed over Debbie's face. Lou's shoes were muddy. The bike was muddy. She even had mud stuck to the ends of her hair. Why in the hell would Lou go riding after it had rained the day before? And why wouldn't she invite Debbie along? That's what the extra bike was for, after all. "What's wrong?" Lou asked.

"You went without me."

"Yeah, I um... I woke up needing to do something."

"I'm supposed to go with you, Lou."

Lou tossed the rag aside. "I know. And you will. But you can't go where I usually ride. You don't have the experience."

Debbie threw her hands in the air. "How hard can it be?"

Lou chuckled. "When was the last time you got on a bike of any kind?"

Debbie pursed her lips together. "Hmm..." It had been so long, she couldn't actually remember the last time.

"Riding on dirt trails is very different from renting a bike and riding through central park. I've been doing it for ten years and I still managed to smash my arm."

"So, the extra bike was a pointless gift? How am I supposed to learn to ride if you leave me at home?" Debbie was finding it hard to be truly mad at Lou because she looked so damned adorable in her tight little biking shorts. "Huh?" she added for effect.

"I promise to take you next time," Lou said.

"Okay, but you can't come in the house like that. You're filthy." Debbie bit her lip, trying not to smile. Would Lou take the bait and undress right here, in front of her?

"I'll use the shower out back. Oh, and can you bring me a copy of your contract when you have a second?"

"What?" Debbie was confused by the request. "Why?"

"I want to check on the part where apparently, I'm paying you to nag."

"Oooh, bitchy. But don't complain to me when your arm is aching and you can't sleep." It didn't get past Debbie that Lou winced when she tried to pull her shoe off with her right hand.

"Okay, Dr. Fake Porter." Lou got both of her shoes off and looked up to find Debbie walking away. "Hey, Debbie?"

"Yeah?"

"I really do appreciate your concern, and if you're up for it, I'd love to take you out to dinner tonight. Maybe make up for leaving you in the dust this morning?" There was only one reason Lou would want to go out to dinner. They'd hardly been out at all since the incident at the bar, usually ordering take-out or cooking at home.

"A paparazzi dinner?"

"Paparazzi, and the best bottle of wine I can find."

Debbie bit her thumbnail while she considered it. "I'll need something fabulous to wear."

"Of course."

"So will you."

Lou smiled. "I have a closet full of fabulous things."

"What's the goal?"

"Now that the first kiss episode has aired, Linus thinks it's time for a public display of affection."

Debbie leaned on the Maserati, looking worried. "That should make things interesting with...." She trailed off.

"Tammy?" Lou helped her out.