Chapter 25

They pulled up to the valet. Debbie glanced at Lou and then lowered her gaze. "You look beautiful too. I don't think I've said it out loud yet. And even though it's not real, I feel pretty lucky to be your date tonight."

Lou smiled. "I'm the lucky one. Stay right where you are." She got out and met Debbie on the other side, holding out her hand. It was the first time the roles had been reversed. Usually it was Debbie helping Lou out of the car. "Shall we?"

Debbie's stomach was in knots as she walked into the restaurant holding Lou's hand. This was the big moment -the reason for everything they'd done so far. She needed to get back on task and play the part. Smile for all the pretty people and whatever cameras happened to lock on them. She took a deep breath and did just that.

It took them several minutes just to get to their table as industry people stood up from their tables and greeted Lou. She didn't introduce Debbie as her girlfriend, simply as Debbie Ocean. Everyone already knew who she was anyway, from being on the show, and because they made it their job to know. Besides, Lou's body language said far more than her words.

After every introduction, her hand made its way back to Debbie's body in one way or another, either loosely holding her hand, or touching her back or caressing her arm, setting Debbie's body on fire with every touch. It all felt very real to her. Too real. And too sad that it wasn't. But she hid her anguish behind a genuine smile every time their eyes met. And like any good actor would do, she played off of her co-star's improvisations, like when Lou said to a producer, "She's getting offers left and right but I'm gonna fight like hell to keep her on my show."

Offers left and right? The only offer Debbie had received was from her old soap, but she quickly recovered from the surprise comment and leaned in close to the man. "And I always say that you gotta dance with the one that brung ya."

He laughed and gestured to Debbie with his thumb. "She's a keeper, Lou."

They were given a table on the far side of the restaurant. Lou sat down and immediately started apologizing. "So sorry about that. You must be starving." The waiter came up to the table and Lou took over. "We'll have a half-dozen oysters. Kumamoto, if you have them. And if we could get those right away, that would be great. Oh, and your wine list. Oh, and some bread."

Debbie noticed that Lou's hands were shaking. She leaned in and whispered, "You're shaking. Take a breath."

Lou reached for her glass and noticed that her hands were indeed shaking. She took a sip of water, then clasped her hands together. "It must be the coffee." They both knew it wasn't the coffee.

"You're doing great," Debbie said, encouragingly. "They're totally buying it."

Lou reached across the table for Debbie's hand. "You do realize you won't struggle to find work again. It makes me so happy that I can give that to you, after everything you've done for me."

"Yeah, I'll forever be Lou Miller's ex-girlfriend," Debbie quipped. "No one can ever take that away from me." Her eyes fell to their joined hands. She quickly looked away, fearing she'd start to tear up.

"That's not what I meant. They're all so impressed with what you've done on the show. Didn't you hear a thing they said?"

A bread basket was set on the table. Debbie let go of Lou's hand and buttered a roll while Lou chose a bottle of red. She'd push her feelings aside. They could be dealt with later, when she was alone in the guesthouse, she told herself. In the meantime, she really needed to eat something, so she stuffed a small piece of the roll in her mouth and smiled while she chewed.

Lou returned the smile. "Can I make a prediction?"

"Only if you put money on it." Debbie moaned in delight as the oysters were set on the table. "Come to mama."