Chapter 14

"And, action!"

Jordan and Jane sat across the table from each other. Jane, working on her laptop and Jordan jotting down notes for her client's upcoming testimony.

Jane stopped typing and said, "How do you do it, Jordan? How do you shut it all off in the courtroom?"

"As a woman, you'll find out pretty quickly you don't have a choice. Men can whine all day about how the judge hurt their feelings with a denied motion. If I pulled that crap I'd be labeled hysterical." Jordan set her pen down. "If I'm caught up in my own stuff -which I never am -it's tough to see when a witness is about to crack. Or when a first-year is about to crack."

Jane's eyes widened. "How did you know?"

Jordan sat back in her chair and studied Jane. "Well, for starters, you didn't crack a joke this morning."

"I do that?"

Jordan shrugged. "They're normally terrible, but you still manage to make me crack up."

Jane shook her head.

"It's too late now. You were so busy trying to pretend that everything's fine -so wrapped up in making sure I didn't notice how sad you are. But thanks to my keen ability to completely turn off all emotion, I'm able to see right through you."

Jane lowered her gaze. "Wow. Really?"

Jordan waved her hand. "No. I saw the watch we bought when you opened your briefcase."

Jane glanced down at her open briefcase. "Yeah, um... I didn't wish her a happy birthday before I left for work yesterday. She assumed I'd forgotten, which I had, until I got to work and looked at the calendar."

"Did she break up with you?"

Jane couldn't answer immediately. Tears welled up in her eyes. "Yes," she finally whispered.

"I'm so sorry. Jane, you know you can tell me these things, don't you?" Jane wiped a tear from her eye and nodded. A knock on the door interrupted them. Jordan quickly stood up. "I'll handle it." She lingered for a few seconds, looking like she wanted to say more, and then she left the room.

"And, cut! Great job with the tears, Debbie." John leaned on the table next to her. "Just one more take to make sure."

Debbie patted her eyes dry. "No problem. Just give me a minute."

Lou sat back down at the table. "How did she do it?"

"What?" Debbie asked, confused by the question.

"Those tears weren't hard to come by. How did she break up with you?"

"You're talking about Tammy, my ex?" Lou slowly nodded.

"Yeah." Debbie chuckled, trying to laugh off the pain. "Second worst day of my life. No warning. But if you want these tears on cue, I can't use them up right now."

***

"And, action!"

Jordan had a satisfied grin on her face as she exited the courtroom. "Our afternoon just opened up. What should we do?"

Jane put her own satchel strap on one shoulder and Jordan's on the other. "I can't believe you got her to dismiss the case. You're a genius!"

"And you questioned being my slave," Jordan laughed. "We're a good team, you and I."

"Do you really think so, or are you just being extra nice to me today because you feel sorry for me."

"Empathy, not pity." Jordan pushed the down button on the elevator. "I can relate. It's been a while, but your ex, with all of her emotional needs and birthday expectations, totally reminds me of mine."