Chapter 37

Debbie woke up around midnight, still in her clothes. She took them off and climbed back into bed in just her underwear and slept for another four hours. She woke with a start, knowing they had to be at the studio at six. She could hear the shower running, so she decided to go out to the guesthouse, where she had clothes and toiletries.

Lou was telling the truth when she said she'd left everything just as it was in the guesthouse. The photo of Debbie and her mother was still on the wall. Her go-to flip-flops were still by the door. The book she'd bought to read by the pool was right where she'd left it, on the kitchen counter. It was comforting somehow, knowing the place hadn't been wiped clean of her existence. She tidied up a bit and then got in the shower, letting the hot water run on her back.

After her shower, Debbie threw on a pair of running pants, a t-shirt and flip-flops, and wrapped her wet hair up in a bun. It was just starting to get light outside as she walked the length of the pool. She couldn't help but smile, remembering all the times she'd done this in the past.

The fancy coffee maker got a kiss. "Hello, my friend." She made the coffee and filled two travel mugs, then buttered a toasted bagel, wrapping it in a napkin. Lou made her way down the stairs. Debbie smiled at her. "Good morning."

"Good morning."

They were running a few minutes late, so Lacey wasted no time handing Lou her favorite travel mug. They headed for the garage - Debbie's keys to her Range Rover were hanging on a hook by the door, right where they always were. She grabbed them. "I'll drive as long as you don't bitch about how fast I'm going."

"I won't bitch if you stay in your lane."

"Fine."

"Fine." Lou stopped short when Debbie turned around at the door. "Is something wrong?"

Debbie hesitated, her eyes locked on Lou's lips. "No. We'll kiss later." She tried to turn back around, but Lou caught her arm.

"We'll kiss now."

It was a sweet kiss. They both tasted like mouthwash. Lou hummed her approval and deepened the kiss as much as she could with hands that were full with coffee mugs and handbags. Debbie's were full too, so they fought for dominance for a moment before Debbie pulled back. If she kept going, coffee mugs would eventually crash to the floor and clothes would be tossed aside and desperate, hot sex would be had, but none of that was a good idea with an 18-year-old brother in the house, not to mention a call time in less than an hour. "Later," Debbie said, her chest heaving and her heart so full it wanted to burst wide open.

Lou nodded. "Yeah." She licked her lips and sucked in a breath. "God, you turn me on. Always have."

"From day one." Debbie said as she pushed the garage door open with her bum. She set the travel mug on the roof and opened the car door, but didn't get in. She looked at Lou across the hood of the car and raised an eyebrow.

"Fine," Lou acquiesced. "From day one. Are you happy now?"

Debbie bit into her bagel and grinned. "Ecstatic."

***

Amita pulled up to Debbie's car in her little cart, surprised to see Lou in the passenger seat. "Good morning, ladies."

"Morning, Mita," they said in unison. Lou sat next to Amita in the cart and Debbie sat in the back.

She eyed them both closely and then took off at full speed. "Asher is taking Austin surfing this afternoon. He thinks your brother is awesome."

"Oh, yeah? Austin will love that, I'm sure," Lou said.

Amita gave Lou a look, her eyes wide as she motioned with her head at Debbie. Lou smiled and patted Amita's leg. They pulled up to Lou's trailer and Debbie jumped out of the back of the cart. She had to get to hair and makeup as soon as possible. She turned around and walked backward, winking at Lou. "See you later." As soon as she was in the building, Amita squealed.