Chapter 3-Hospitals, Tears, Apologies, and NEEDLES

Hiya! So here's chapter 3! Thanks for reading and please vote, comment, and fan; tell me what you think! :3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie’s POV

                What the hell is that beeping noise? I opened my eyes slowly, feeling like my body is made of lead. The first thing I saw was a bright white light and I squinted. Yeah, let’s blind me as soon as I wake up, shall we? I started to move my right hand but stopped when I felt a sharp tug. Looking down, I saw an IV in the back of my hand.

                I gulped and quickly looked away, trying to distract myself. It’s just a needle, nothing to be afraid of. Yeah, just a gigantic needle stuck in the BACK OF MY HAND. Okay, I might be overreacting just a little bit. But I am seriously terrified, as in, deathly afraid, of needles. When they come within even two feet of me I feel dizzy and freak out; when they’re stuck in the back of my hand or anywhere else on my body… well, I think you get the idea: I hate needles.

                Looking around the room and trying to ignore the IV, I took in the white walls, floors, ceiling, the bed I’m currently laying on with white sheets and lumpy white pillows- geez, too much white. Where the hell am I hmm… Oh! I’m in a hospital! Wow… it took me that long to figure that out. I was distracted by the needle in my hand, shut up! I really need to stop having these conversations with myself. I’m probably going insane. Yep, that would explain a lot.

                Just then I heard muffled voices and my head snapped in the direction of the door just as it opened to reveal my mom, David, and a doctor. Mom was staring at the doctor, looking worried, as he talked.

                “She will be okay though, right?” She asked him.

                “Yes ma’am. She should be recovered and ready to leave in three days, tops.” She smiled, relieved.

                “Thank you so much, doctor.” He smiled back at her. Then he left, shutting the door behind him, and they both turned to me. I stared at the floor, ashamed. They’re so worried and stressed out over something stupid that I did. Something that I promised them I would never do again. I hate hospitals because I have really unpleasant, emotional memories from a few years ago when I was suicidal.

                I used to be in the hospital almost every week and mom and David were always there for me, mom crying and both of them begging me to stop. And I did, for a while. I’ve honestly been trying to get better and stop myself from doing this again.

                I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for them to yell, to tell me how horrible I am and that I broke my promise. The silence lasted for only about two seconds before I was engulfed in two pairs of arms, both being careful not to bump the IV.

                “Oh my god, Cassie; I thought we were going to lose you! Don’t scare us like that again!” David said, hugging me tightly.

                “My baby! I didn’t know what to do! I thought this stopped! I’m so sorry!” Mom wailed, tears spilling down her cheeks as she kissed all over my face.

                “Mom, David, I’m so sorry. Don’t apologize; it’s not your fault. It’s mine. I was stupid and I let my emotions get the best of me. It has stopped, I just don’t know what happened. I’m trying to get better but this has made me realize that I can’t promise that something like this won’t happen again, even though I seriously wish I could. Because if I do then it’ll probably happen two years from now and we’ll be exactly where we are now. I honestly didn’t mean for it to go this far; I was lying on my bed, thinking of… dad, and then it was just too much. I ran in the bathroom and found my razor and… you know the rest.” I finished my speech and took a deep breath, tears streaming down my cheeks as I watched and heard my mom’s broken cries, all because of my stupidity.

                David was silent, hugging mom and me close, his eyes closed. A single tear slipped down his cheek and I reached up, gently wiping it off. His eyes opened and I smiled softly, trying to make him feel a little better. One side of his mouth lifted and he leaned in, kissing my forehead.

                “I love you, sis. Just… please, don’t scare us like that.” I nodded and swallowed the lump in my throat.

                “I-I’ll try. I really will.” He pulled back and mom kept hugging me for a little while longer before pulling back and kissing my forehead as well. David sat on the uncomfortable-looking white couch and mom went to get a nurse to check on me.

                “So, what happened?” I asked David after a minute of silence. He looked at me.

                “Well, when I found you and we brought you to the hospital, you already lost a lot of blood so they said that you needed a blood transfusion…”

                “David, you didn’t have to-“

                “Cassie, it’s alright. I offered and I don’t really mind.” I pursed my lips. “Really, Cassie, it’s fine.” I nodded but I’m still not happy about it. There was a silence but it wasn’t awkward, surprisingly. Then mom and a nurse came in the room. Mom sat down on the couch by David and the nurse came over to check the IV. Then she handed me one of those huge cups of water that they give you at the hospital- do you know the ones I’m talking about? Yeah, those. It’s like they want you to drown yourself by drinking all of the water at once… not really; I just really don’t like hospitals.

                I took a drink, soothing my dry throat, and found the remote, turning on the TV that’s hanging on the ceiling. Some football game was on so I left it on for David since he’s been waiting to watch it. After a little while of blankly staring at the screen, not paying attention to it at all, I looked at mom. She was leaning back on the couch, feet tucked under her with her eyes closed and dark circles under them. She looks really tired.

                I frowned.

                “Mom?” her eyes instantly snapped open and she jerked forward, looking at me worriedly. David looked away from the TV and gave me his full attention.

                “Yeah, honey? Do you need something? Do you feel dizzy?” I shook my head.

                “No; I feel fine. I just wanted to tell you guys that I’m really sorry that I did this and that we won’t be able to move today. It was a really stupid thing to do and I know that. It was really selfish of me.” Mom frowned and David shook his head.

                “No it’s-“ they both tried to protest but I held a hand up, stopping them.

                “It’s not ok. I know that and you know that. Please don’t try to tell me that what I did was ok because it’s not. I love both of you so much and I sure as hell didn’t show it very well by almost taking myself away from you, again.” Tears streamed down my face steadily and they both stared at me, sad.

                “We love you too, baby.” Mom murmured. After a while Mom leaned back and closed her eyes again and David stared at me for a few more seconds before going back to his football game. I stared down at my hands, just now noticing the white bandage wrapped tightly around my right wrist. It stung when I moved it and I winced but it’s my fault.

                I don’t know what I’ll do if I find my mate. He’ll be way too good for me and if we were together it would just drag him down with me. I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think and if you want me to post the next chapter! :]