Chapter 30- Guilt

10-7-14

I know, I know. It's been forever since I last updated and this chapter is kind of short, but it's still a chapter right?

I really am sorry for making you guys wait and I want to say thank you to those of you who still read this story despite the long wait between updates. It makes me really happy to see that people actually enjoy my books and you guys mean so much to me.

I love you guys and I am going to start the next chapter right after I post this! <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie’s POV

                I fell asleep for about an hour before waking up when my side started hurting. Damien instantly hurried downstairs to get me a cup of water and four Ibuprofens. We have to take more in order for them to affect us.

                When the medicine kicked in and my side stopped hurting as much I decided to go check on Mom and David. Damien was hesitant but finally agreed, keeping his arm around my waist in case I fall. I wanted to say that it wasn’t necessary but snapped my mouth shut. There’s no point because I know how protective he is, and there is no way he’s going to take his arm away. I don’t really mind anyway.

                We walked down the hallway and then I smelled David’s scent, following it until we reached a guest room door. I smelled Mom’s scent as well and reached out, opening the door and stepping inside quietly.

                David was shuffling around in a bag when we came in, but as soon as he saw me he put it down and came over to hug me gently. We pulled apart and I leaned into Damien’s side, smiling softly at David.

                “Hey,” I murmured. He looked like he wanted to say something but then just shook his head a little and returned the smile.

                “Hey Cassie. You scared the shit out of us. Don’t ever do that again.” I bit my lip.

                “I know and I’m sorry. I should have been more careful but I was too pissed to concentrate very well.” He nodded.

                “There’s no need to apologize. You’re okay now and that’s all that matters.” He smiled at me again and then seemed to remember something, striding over to the suitcase he was shuffling around in before. He pushed some clothes aside, looking for something.

                When he found it and I realized what it was my eyes widened and I smiled sadly. He brought it over to me and gave my shoulders a squeeze. It’s my picture of him, me, Mom, and Dad at my fourth birthday party. We all have huge smiles on our faces. David has icing smeared across his face, courtesy of me.

                I was expecting to feel the familiar sting in my eyes before I cry but was surprised when it didn’t come. There’s a dull aching in my chest, but no tears.

                Damien’s arm around my waist tightened and he pulled me closer, kissing my temple gently. I smiled up at him and then looked down at the picture again before setting it safely on top of the dresser.

                “I’ll get you a frame for it later if you want,” Damien murmured in my ear. My eyes burned a bit and I nodded, smiling through watery eyes and hugging him. When I pulled away I looked over to the bed where Mom is laying and the breath caught in my throat. I felt the tears finally spill over and run down my face as I made my way across the room to her side. Damien let go of my waist but followed me in case I need the support.

                I took a shaky breath and sat down on the bed by her legs, staring at her smooth, pale face. Her left arm has a small cast on her left wrist from where it must have been broken. A white bandage is tied around her head, faintish pink stains from the wounds underneath scattered across it. I swallowed thickly and took her non-injured hand into both of mine, keeping my eyes on her face.

                This is all my fault. If I hadn’t run away then this wouldn’t have happened. We would have been able to get to her sooner and she wouldn’t be laying here in front of me, unconscious and looking like she hasn’t eaten or slept for days.

                As I sat there, absorbed in my thoughts, I heard the quiet murmur of voices as the pack doctor came in and Damien and David talked in hushed murmurs. After about ten minutes I heard shuffling nearby and then tingles as Damien pushed a strand of hair behind my ear and turned my face in his direction.

                I blinked a couple times and then focused on his face, taking in the stubble along his jaw and his gorgeous grey eyes. His thumb stroked my cheek and then he spoke.

                “I’m going to talk to my dad for a bit about some pack business. I’ll be back soon sweetheart.” I nodded and he leaned forward, placing a tender kiss on my forehead before getting up and leaving, closing the door behind him.

                I sat there for another couple minutes as David shuffled around, putting clothes away and separating our stuff into piles.

                I got up from my spot on the bed and gave Mom one last look before turning and walking toward the door. David stood and came over, grabbing my wrist and turning me to face him.

                “Where are you going?” He asked, his eyes clearly showing the worry he’s feeling. I forced myself to smile, trying to make it reassuring as I slowly pulled my wrist out of his hold.

                “I’m going to Damien’s room. I need… I need to think about some things.” He bit his lip and his eyebrows came together. David stared at my face for a moment before nodding.

                “Alright. Just… Cassie. Don’t beat yourself up about this, okay? It would have happened whether you had run away or not, and there’s nothing you could have done to stop it. We have Mom back now and all we need to focus on is making sure she gets healed and then we need to sort some things out as a family.” I forced another smile and then left the room.

                Of course he would say that. He’s my brother and he’s trying to make me feel better about the situation. I love him for it, I really do, but I don’t want people to take any of the blame off of me. That’ll just make me feel worse right now.

                Once I made it to Damien’s bedroom I slipped inside and shut the door behind me. I leaned against it for a moment before making my way into his closet to change. I feel really gross right now and I just want to take a hot shower and change my clothes.

                I found a plain black t-shirt, some red and black plaid boxers, and one of my bras. Then I went into the bathroom and turned on the water. My toothbrush and everything else that I was using before I ran away is still here, right where I left it.

                A sharp flash of guilt ran through me and I shook it off, quickly turning on the shower and stripping. I can’t think of that right now. I need to think about what I’m going to do to make things right.

                I stayed in the shower for about twenty minutes, scrubbing all of the dirt and grime off of my body and shampooing my hair twice. When I was done I got out and dried off, pulling on Damien’s clothes and going back into the room. Tossing my dirty clothes into the hamper, I plopped onto the soft bed and rolled onto my stomach in the middle of it.

                I turned my head to the side so I can breathe and closed my eyes. I’m not tired at all, I just need to think and I do that a lot better if my eyes are closed. Breathing deeply, I felt myself relax against the silky blanket that smells like my mate. It calmed me even more and I found myself finally able to think properly.

                I really need to decide what the hell I’m going to do before Mom wakes up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully the next chapter will be up soon! :)