Chapter 21- Long Ride

3-4-14

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie’s POV

                “Cassie!” As soon as I stepped out of the limo with Damien’s arms around my waist I heard my name being called. Turning around, I saw David running towards me. I felt a smile stretch across my face and tears welled up in my eyes when I looked at him.

                Pulling away from Damien, I ran to meet him. When he got within arms’ reach he pulled me in for a hug and I closed my eyes, resting my head against his chest. I’ve missed him so much.

                “I’m sorry,” I whispered. He stroked the back of my head and stayed silent. I pulled back from the hug just as Damien came up behind me. He wrapped an arm around my waist and stood beside me. Before David backed away he placed a gentle kiss on the top of my head. I gave him a soft watery smile and he returned it, his eyes sad.

                Damien pulled me into his side and I leaned my head against him. My stomach twisted with guilt and I moved away enough to create a little gap between us.

                “What do you guys need to tell me?” They locked eyes and David’s face tightened with pain. I stared at him and felt my heart accelerate. What happened?

                After a little more than a minute David pursed his lips and looked back to me. The intensity of the pain in his eyes scared the crap out of me. What could have David so upset? He’s usually laid back and calm about almost everything. Whatever it is that’s affecting him like this is bad. Really bad.

                “What? What is it? What aren’t you guys telling me?” I asked when he didn’t say anything. stepped away from Damien and faced them both, crossing my arms over my chest. I saw Damien move forward a little, wanting to keep me as close as possible. I can understand how he’s feeling and as much as I would love to be in his arms I need to find out what is going on.

                They glanced at each other yet again and then Damien sighed, nodding slightly. David turned back to me and took a deep breathe.

                “It’s… Mom.” My heart stuttered and then picked up again frantically. I started to feel lightheaded as I stared at him with wide eyes.

                “W-what… what about her? Is she okay? Where is she?” I looked around, hoping to see her getting out of the other vehicle or pulling up in her own car. But nothing happened. She’s not here. My eyes whipped back to David, pleading to know what happened. I moved forward and stood three feet in front of him.

                “What happened? Tell me!” My voice cracked and I gripped the front of his shirt in my hands when my knees started to shake. My whole body is trembling.

                He didn’t say anything and instead reached into his back pocket, pulling out a crumpled piece of paper. It’s wrinkled and worn from being unfolded and then folded over and over. I shakily took it from him and took a step back, unfolding it with trembling fingers. Damien came over and held me against his chest yet again. I didn’t fight him or step away. I have a feeling I’m going to need the support.

                My eyes skimmed over the words for the third time. My mind is refusing to process what I’m seeing. This isn’t… there’s no way. A single tear rolled slowly down my cheek and onto the paper. My knees shook violently and I collapsed.