Chapter Eight

Evelyn hauled her bag down Stonebrook's cobblestone paths, the town's old-world charm wrapping around her like a warm blanket. Each delivery lightened her load, and she couldn't help but wonder if her muscles were getting stronger or if some mystical force was at play.

She rang the doorbell, its chime resonating through the quiet afternoon. The feisty pitter-patter of Mrs. Johnson's footsteps echoed in response, reminiscent of a drummer in a rock band who had just downed a gallon of coffee.

"Hello, Mrs. Johnson. Here is your order," the young barista greeted, smiling as she handed over the bag. "A hot vanilla latte and a cinnamon scone."

Mrs. Johnson took the bag, peeking inside with a satisfied nod. "You, my girl, are a gem. Here's a little extra for your troubles," she said, pressing a few bills into Evelyn's hand.

Evelyn's eyes widened at the generous tip. "Whoa, thanks! You sure? I mean, I'm just doing my job, you know?"

"Nonsense! It's no small feat, zipping around town like you do. You're a lifesaver for us busy folks."

Evelyn flashed a triumphant smile, the extra cash warming her pocket as she strolled back to the café. Mid-stride, her phone erupted into a familiar tune. She dug it out and eyed the caller ID—a picture of her and her mom from last summer's beach trip.

"Hey, Mom," she greeted, her voice a mix of cheer and caution.

"Evelyn! How's the day treating you?" Melissa's voice crackled through, always a hint of excitement in her words.

"Pretty good, actually. The town's buzzing, and I'm the queen of delivery today," Evelyn boasted, her steps syncing with her rising confidence.

Melissa's laughter spilled over the line. "That's my girl. But are you sure you're managing okay? It's a lot for one person."

Evelyn's stride faltered, a chill creeping up her spine. "Yeah, I'm... totally," she hesitated, her gaze darting to the shadows between the buildings. "Just thought I heard something weird."

The line went quiet for a beat too long. "Evelyn, you know you can tell me anything, right? If something's up, just say the word."

Evelyn spun on her heel, scanning the empty street. "Nah, it's all good. Probably just some alley cat or something," she said, forcing a laugh. "I'll be done soon. We can chat more later?"

Melissa's concern was palpable. "Alright, honey. Just remember, your safety is more important than any job."

"I know, Mom. I've got this," Evelyn reassured, her voice steadier than she felt. "Catch you later, okay?"

"Promise me you'll be careful," Melissa insisted, the motherly worry never fading.

"Cross my heart," Evelyn replied, ending the call with a click. She pocketed her phone, her mind not quite as easy as her words. Something felt off, and it wasn't just the summer breeze nipping at her heels.

.•° ✿ °•.

As Evelyn stepped back into the café, the rich scent of coffee beans and the soft hum of conversations wrapped around her like a cozy blanket. Making her way to the counter, she caught sight of Eleanor, the epitome of grace, serving a steaming cup of coffee to a lady and a frothy milk tea to the little one by her side.

Eleanor looked up, her smile as refined as her posture.

"Ah, Evelyn, your Chocolate Blizzard concoction has become quite the sensation," she commented. "It's a delightful indulgence for the palate."

Evelyn's grin spread wide, a spark of mischief in her eyes.

"Seriously? You've been around java and jive longer than I've been alive, and you've never come across it?" she teased, leaning on the counter with a playful arch of her brow.