Stealing the Show

After school, we went straight to the dance studio. What's new?

"Let's talk about Starbound competition. Can we have a round of applause? Whoo-hoo! Okay. So, Brooke, you blew them away. The people sitting around me were in awe when you did your handstand twist. But why all the drama with the hip? Hmm? If you are seriously injured, you don't need to go to your mother and get everybody worked up, you come to me, and that needs to be clear, yes?" Miss Abby asked, and she nodded. "I want to talk about this week's competition."

Miss Abby turned the chalkboard around, showing us the pyramid.

                                       𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙤𝙠𝙚

𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙚  𝘾𝙝𝙡𝙤𝙚

𝙉𝙞𝙖  𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙚  𝙈𝙖𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙯𝙞𝙚  𝙈𝙖𝙭  𝙑𝙞𝙫𝙞-𝘼𝙣𝙣𝙚

"Do you see there's somebody new on top? Yes. Brooke, you are here because of your performance. You worked through an injury, you did what you had to do, you were a team player. You are getting a solo this weekend. Alright, Chloe, Maddie, you are also getting solos this weekend. The bottom row, what am I supposed to do with you five? You need to step it up. You need to get your butts back into class and start working on your technique. And you know what, since we're in Pittsburgh this weekend, I'm gonna give every single one of you a solo," Miss Abby explained, and I smiled in excitement. "Moms, it's gonna be a busy week. I expect them to be amazing. Do you understand? Yes? Sit up straight. Ladies, let's go."

We stood up and began warming up around the studio as the moms left.

-

Vivi, Kenzie and I had to watch Maddie's solo rehearsal. We sat in the back of the room, stretching and observing. The cameras were also filming this.

"It's like you're dancing out of control a little bit. You need to bring it down. Yes? And if everything's big, then nothing's big," Miss Abby said to the girl. "Watch that lean on that heel on that jeté."

-

A couple hours later, we also had to watch Brooke's solo rehearsal.

"Ooh, straight knee in front. Breathe."

I haven't danced at all today, which is kind of sad.  I don't even know what my dance is called, or what the music sounds like!

Next was Nia's solo rehearsal.

"Nia. What's going on with your legs?" Miss Abby asked, bringing out a bat. "That leg. Yes? Do it again." Every time Nia lifted her leg, Miss Abby hit it with the bat to make sure it's strong enough.

"I don't know why you're leaning on your heels, but go ahead. Why are you so sloppy? Why is that foot banging on the ground? Come on."

Then it was time for Kenzie's solo rehearsal. I was starting to get very bored.

"Jump! Smile! Bigger! Wiggle! Move to the back! Come on, think! What are you doing?" Miss Abby asked.

"I just forgot," Kenzie replied, on the verge of crying.

"What? You forgot? But you have to keep going. You can't just quit dancing. Alright, start again. Suck it up. I don't wanna see those tears," Miss Abby demanded, and she started her solo again. "Back leg higher! Turn it out! Slow down!"