She's a Fighter

Another day, another dance class. Another pyramid.

"This weekend we were on in Providence, Rhode Island. An hour outside of Boston. Some of the most prestigious dance studios in the country are there. Tough schools, tough competitors. And you really held your own. You won that victory cup. You killed it. I'm very proud," Miss Abby started, and we all clapped. "I'm very proud of every one of you. And you know I don't say that too often. I just wanted to say that I was very impressed with Max's acting skills, I was shocked. Well done. I'm also very proud that all the moms kept their mouths shut and didn't say anything to me. See how much nicer it is when everything goes so smoothly? It's wonderful. Now if only the moms could learn to be team players like their daughters, then we'd be in business."

Miss Abby liked my acting. That made me very happy.

"Now let's talk about this week's competition," Miss Abby spoke, turning the chalkboard around.

𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙚

𝘾𝙝𝙡𝙤𝙚 𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙚 𝙉𝙞𝙖

𝙈𝙖𝙭 𝙈𝙖𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙯𝙞𝙚 𝙑𝙞𝙫𝙞-𝘼𝙣𝙣𝙚

"We are going to...what?" Miss Abby asked, pointing to the writing on the board.

"StarPower!" we all yelled.

"It's at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. And it's a resort. It's all self-contained. We can't forget anything. So we will have a wardrobe for each day that they are going to be there. Just like the old school days. Yes? And you will pack here in front of me, so that I know that you have everything. Let's talk about the board. First of all, everybody work together as a team. That teamwork is going to help you at nationals. That's what going to put you over the top. Teamwork and technique. Those are the two things that we're going to concentrate on this week. Moms, we're doing another new number. One more costume. This week I'm going to ask you to work harder than you've ever worked before. We need to show up and walk in there like we own the place. And I will give you a pack list for clothes for the trip. And I want them dressed a certain way every single day we are there. Does everyone understand that? Yes? Moms, thank you very much. Ladies, let's get up. Let's go," Miss Abby finished.

Kenzie, Vivi and I left the studio since we weren't in the new group number.

"Max, Mackenzie, Matt needs you for class," Gia said, popping her head in. We followed her out, leaving Vivi alone in the den.

"Hi girls, we were just getting started," Matt stated as we entered. I went to stand next to my friends.

"You didn't miss anything good," Kylie whispered. I nodded.

"When will we see what Josie got?" I asked.

"Later," she replied, and we focused our attention on the class.

-

Later, we all had a ballet class with Miss Abby. Kenzie, Vivi and I were using the outside bars while the other girls were in the middle.

"Push through. Tighten the abs. Stronger arm, stronger arm, stronger arm," Miss Abby said, slapping Maddie's arm. "Passé. Your ribs are open, derrière is up. Tighten it, tighten it. No squishy."

"I hate ballet," Paige sighed when the class was over.

"Same, it's so annoying," Maddie stated, packing up her dance bag.