Waiting for Joffrey

At school today, during recess, I fell and scratched my leg on the concrete. I got a princess bandaid, though.

"Come on, girls, let's go!" Miss Abby yelled, calling us into the studio. "Let's go. Join the party."

We all entered Studio A, and I hoped that my princess bandaid was caught on camera.

"So, did everyone have a good time in Chicago?" Miss Abby asked.

"Yes," Mommy replied.

"Alright. Now, let's talk about our group dance. I thought it was beautiful. I thought the costumes looked gorgeous on everybody. I gave everybody a challenge with acting. You all did it. Alright, now, Maddie, you did a solo this week. I know there was some boys you were worried about. But you beat them. You can't psych yourself out backstage. Understood?" Miss Abby questioned.

"Yes," she answered, nodding.

"Nia, I watched the trio and I watched you closely. I feel that you were a beat behind. It's the difficult technical things that you have trouble with. That's what you need to keep working on. Understood?" Miss Abby asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"We have a lot to do. I'm gonna get right to the pyramid," Miss Abby said. "At the bottom of the pyramid...Chloe. You are one of the most advanced dancers sitting in this group, but I want more from you. You need a challenge. You need to work up to the next level. Remember, there is no 'I' in 'team,' but there is an 'M' and an 'E.' And it's all about me. Understood?"

She nodded.

"Alright, moving on. Nia. Nia, that trio- you wanted it, you got in it. Like I said, you have the style and the sass, but the rest of it is a mess. Paige. You did a great job, did your part. I want more. Max. Your acting was great in the group number, I was impressed. But I want your technique to be as strong as your acting. Next, I have Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you continue to improve each week. Every week I come into the studio, you learned a new trick. But I don't want it to all be about your gymnastics. Got it?" Miss Abby asked, and she nodded. "And...Brooke. I thought that your part in the group dance was excellent. Just watch the chin and the chin stand; no more hickeys. On top of the pyramid...is Maddie. You won the overall high score, you beat Justice, you beat all the boys, congratulations."

𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙚

𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙈𝙖𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙯𝙞𝙚

𝙈𝙖𝙭 𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙚 𝙉𝙞𝙖 𝘾𝙝𝙡𝙤𝙚

"Moving on. I need to talk a little bit about this week. There's going to be a scout from the Joffrey Ballet in Michigan at Energy Dance. He is scouting kids to go to an audition for Joffrey," Miss Abby told us, and we all gasped.

"I have family there!"

"Wonderful!"

"So, you need to be your best. You need to represent the Abby Lee Dance Company to the best of your ability. Alright. The group number this week is entitled 'Nip and Tuck.' I know that you talk about having some work done. Kelly," Miss Abby stated.

"What?" Kelly asked in shock.

"We all know what you want," Miss Abby insisted.

"Boobs? Yes!" Kelly exclaimed.

A bunch of us started laughing. Mostly me.