18

In the Great Hall breakfast was a sombre affair that first morning. Many people did not make it and those that did looked hungover beyond belief.

Yn entered and was immediately swept up by Parvati. "Come sit with me." Parvati dragged Yn towards where Cho was sat, talking Yn's ear off but Yn was staring down into the abyss of her stodgy porridge. "I have so much to tell you. After you left last night, you missed it. Lavender was all over Ron. Hermione was off sulking. I think she left early too. And... Ginny and Dean fought again. I also heard Blaise Zabini got with someone."

"What's interesting about that?" Padma dropped down opposite Yn. Yn looked up and could see Draco sitting alone at the Slytherin table, covertly watching her.

Parvati leaned in. "Word on the street is it wasn't a Slytherin."

"Word on the street?" Cho chortled. "Who are you?"

"Whatever," Parvati rolled her eyes. "Anyway. Millicent Bulstrode is apparently going to try and 'Woo' Harry. Can you believe that? Well good luck to her because Harry is a terrible dancer and clearly, he is in love with Ginny."

Under Draco's watchful eye Yn shifted uncomfortably. Why was he looking at her? Because when he did it was like she was supposed to tell him all her secrets and he like he wanted to tell her his.

"And you didn't hear about Malfoy's 'almost' fight with Flint. They only stopped because the rest of the Slytherin quidditch team jumped in."

Yn tried to look phased and react to not raise a red flag.

"Why? I mean Flint is an asshole but what did he say?" Cho glanced over her shoulder at Draco, but when she saw that he was looking in their direction, she jerked her head back around.

"No idea, but I bet McLaggen knows. He was dealing to them last night."

"Cormac McLaggan couldn't tell you his wand from his broomstick." Yn muttered under her breath. It took her a minute to realise that the girls were silent with their mouths hanging open at her comment. Yn dropped her spoon in the bowl with a clang. Draco was still staring at her intensely and it felt as though he was trying to read her or make her combust with his glare.

"I have to go," Yn abruptly stood up, knocking her empty goblet.

"You barely ate," Cho finally spoke.

"I forget my potion's book," Yn lied. "I'll see you there."

"O...Okay," Cho reluctantly nodded.

Yn scooped up her robe in her arms, not waiting to put it on stormed out of the Great Hall concealing her potions book beneath all the material. She had only just shrugged on the robe as the clocked bell chimed as students began hurriedly descending down the grand staircase. Yn snaked through the corridors that were swarming with students. Professor McGonagall was directing first years left and right. Yn slightly recalled that being her. And just like when she was in her first-year professor McGonagall beckoned her over.

"You have a busy class schedule today?" She asked Yn.

"Yes Professor."

Professor McGonagall looked at Yn's slightly paler complexion. "If you feel any symptoms like last night Madame Pomfrey has requested that you visit her immediately."

"Understood," Yn nodded.

"Very well, off to class now. I have been assured that Professor Slughorn's first potions class is to be quite riveting."

When Yn arrived at the potion's classroom, Professor Slughorn was stood by the door greeting students as they entered, checking that they each had a potions book.