26

Matthew was a just wholeheartedly Matthew when Yn had first met him. That was what drew her to him. It reminded her of the innocence that she lost. He was soft and sweet and gentle.

Both Matthew's parents worked at the Ministry of Magic in New York. That was how she had come across him. She was only thirteen at the time. Matthew was fourteen. She had been sat in the foyer of the ministry building watching the group of busy witches and wizards' parade in and out. Her father had dragged her along to the Ministry's annual gala that they just happened to be in town for.

She had manged to get away from the dense party tricks and the showmanship of the adults and instead watched the younger adult witches and wizards giggle and jest. Flouncing about in their dress robes under the stary sky. Falling in love. Fighting. Crying.

Matthew, was tall for his age but his coordination had not appeared to grow with his limbs, and he had tripped over the hem of Yn's dress.

"Sorry," he mumbled. He looked down at the pale blue fabric that he had tangle himself in. He followed up the fabric until he met Yn's eyes. She was younger then and the power would glisten in them giving the brown a hue of purple that was enrapturing. She had learned to control that in time.

"Come on Matt," A group of boys called out to Matthew from across the foyer.

"Yeah, go on I'll catch up." Matthew did not look away from Yn. Yn squinted back at Matthew noticing how enthralled he was. "I'm sorry about your dress."

Yn looked down and noticed where the edge was fraying by the tear caused by Matthew.

"It's fine," she said noticing what he was pointing at. "Gives me a reason to not have to wear it again."

Matthew knelt down beside her and brandished his wand from inside his robes. "Repairo." He swished his wand and the frayed edges knitted back together. Then he admired his handiwork. "There," he said. "Now you don't have an excuse and next time you wear it you will think of me." He smiled at her cheekily. Yn blinked rapidly, leaving the awkward air to putrefy. Matthew stood to his feet and backed away.

"Why would I do that," She asked in surprise.

Matthew grinned to himself and walked away occasionally looking back over his shoulder at a confused YN.

But that was not the last of Matthew that he saw.

The next day she accompanied her father to his last meeting at the US ministry. She was chaperoned to a small room while she waited for Alistair, under the watchful eye of an Auror.

"Ahhhh is this her?" A lively woman gushed as she entered the room. She held out her arms in embrace.

"Yes this is my daughter, YN," Alistair confirmed with a glint of adoration for YN in his eye.

"Oh, she is beautiful. Hello sweetheart, sorry this must be quite a shock for you. I'm Penny," The woman continued warmly.

"Don't scare her Pen," a man chuckled behind her. "Don't let my wife rattle you," The man held out his hand for a firm handshake. "I'm George. Pleasure to meet you. Your father has said nothing but good things about you. That we just had to come and meet you."

Yn took his hand and smiled back at the couple. She could see that they were complete opposites, and it was beautiful to see. The way the moved to mould to each other. The way George smiled at Penny and the way Penny teased George. Penn was brimming over with excitement while George was calm and relaxed.

"Let's make this a family affair shall we." George clapped his hands together rubbing them as if that was the only way he could complete his take. "Where has he gone?" He looked around. "Matthew," he called out.