31

Yn flattened down the long stain skirt of the powder blue dress that Lucinda had sent her for Slughorn's Christmas party as she made her way out of the common room.

"Wow you look beautiful."

Yn spun back around and saw Blaise smiling at her.

"Thank you Blaise. It's all Lucinda." She took in his robes. "I see someone's been shopping for the newest robe collection."

Blaise grinned. "Got to keep up appearances." Blaise glanced up at the sound of footsteps. "Don't we Malfoy."

Yn's refused to allow her muscles to betray her and turn.

"Yes but sometimes people put on a façade to hide who they actually are or how they actually feel and no amount of masking covers it up well enough." Draco's voice was coarse.

Yn felt a shiver and her skin goose-bumped. She could feel Draco's eyes on her from where he stopped behind her.

"Are you two going together," he asked through gritted teeth eyes fixed on Yn.

"No," Blaise cleared his throat. "Well, is it just me or did it get a little chilly in here." He glared at Draco. Blaise was confused. He was under the impression that Draco was interested in yn but for weeks that interaction had soured. Blaise addressed yn directly. "Who's your plus one?"

Draco clenched his fist while he waited for an answer.

"No one. I'm going alone."

Draco relaxed.

"Independent. I like it," Blaise commended.

"Not really," she sighed. 'It's just easier. I find that people jump to conclusions and put on unwanted moves, you know." Yn momentarily glanced at Draco coldly and made her way to the door.

Blaise looked at Draco, how was shivering with anger. "We are going to talk about this later." He punched Draco in the chest and followed after Yn.

Draco's nostrils flared. He huffed and then composed himself as best he could. He had to. He was using the distraction of Slughorn's Christmas party to continue his task. He would be retuning back to Malfoy Manor over the Christmas holidays and he was sure to get a grilling.

In the corridor Blaise was rushing to keep up with Yn. "What was that?" he panted.

"What?' Yn blinked.

"What going on? Why do you hate him?"

"I don't," she shrugged.

"Don't bullshit me. You guys were like the Dream team at quidditch and then for the last, I don't know like 2 months you act like he's the plague."

'I do not," Yn's pitch jolted in defence.

"Something's gone on between you two," Blaise narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

"What? No there hasn't. What are you talking about? Has he been saying thing about me."

"Yn I know you are not blind. It's obvious he likes you."

Yn sighed and stopped abruptly. "Blaise... I'm a complicated person. Draco is a complicated person. And I'm really sick of complicated. Can we please stop talking about this now."

"Okay fine," Blaise conceded. "But you won't be able to run away from it forever. Fate has a way of working like that. You take divination. You should know."

"I think I need a drink," she sighed.

"Lucky for you we are going to a party." Blaise winked.

"It's Slughorn's Christmas Party. I highly doubt there will be anything stronger than pumpkin juice."