23

He did remember. However, what was a more prominent image was remembering Yn's face at the funeral.

Yn's mother, Celine, had been sought out by the Voldemort before she had met Allister. As conniving as Voldemort was, he still had the Tom Riddle charm and was able to effortlessly enrapture a sweet soul like Celine. But he knew what he was doing. He knew the power she held. She had more power in her left pinkie than most witches or wizards had in their whole lifetime. Before long he had got her to willing join him and had complete access to her ability. That was a dangerous advantage. He was able to know what every witch or wizard was thinking. Their deepest desires. Their weakness. Their dirty secretes. But what he failed to understand was what Celine needed. He was able to recruit her. But he was unable to keep her. To get to her to stay. Because Celine wanted to be loved and to have a family and Voldemort did not recognise that nor value that. He wanted complete submission. And Celine could not give that to him. So she fled. Using her power to remain hidden for as long as possible and not letting anyone learn of it. When she had been part of Voldemort's army no one had known what her real identity was. People say that is why Voldemort lost the first war. Because he was unable to keep his most powerful weapon. And Celine found what she longed for. She found love in Allister and she created her family. But the years made her complacent. Although it could be argued that it wasn't complacency it was sacrifice. She channelled her power into shielding Yn, so know would try to take advantage of the power that she was bound to possess. This opened her up to attack. That was how Voldemort had found her and instructed the death eaters to punish her for her betrayal.

At least that's what Draco mother had told him. She had known Yn's mother back then.

Draco knew that his father was amongst those who would have done anything that the Dark Lord asked of him. He would not be surprised if he was one of the perpetrators. But They were the Malfoys after all and therefore by tradition had to show face at the funeral of one of the scared 28.

Draco only knew Yn a little. Obviously, he knew of her, but he barely knew her despite them, being in the same house at Hogwarts.

But that was not the young vacant girl he had seen chaperoned in by her father at the funeral of Celine Aquila Shafiq Avery. She had placed flowers down on the table where the lifeless body of her mother lay shrouded in silk, without so much as looking up.

Draco had asked Narcissa why Celine's body was covered, only to be shushed. He found out later that it was because she had been tortured before she was killed.

Throughout the ceremony, Draco watched Yn. He was surprised that she did not shed a tear. If that he been his mother, he would be beside himself. She remined stoic almost paralyzed. Even when the bright white lighted erupted next to the body and the table upon which Celine lay, obscuring the body. White smoke spiralled in the air and made strange shapes. Then the fire vanished and, in its place, lay a marble white tomb encasing Celine and the table. Yn only blinked, clasping her hands in her lap. Lucinda seated beside her was flooded with tears. Yn's father cradled Yn closer, deciding at once that he was going to have to shield Yn.

Yn had vanished. But was close enough that her father could see her. She did not need the pitiful glances. But her father could not bear to have her out of his sight. Only a few days ago she had been excited to go home for the summer. Little did she know then that she would never see her mother smile again.

She had wandered over to the swing that nestled in the flower garden that her father had enchanted for her mother. Yn and her father did not enter their home on their property after what happened with Celine. But they had returned to the ground only for Celine's memorial.

Draco was sick of seeing his father feign sorrow as he worked the room, often talking over his mother, who felt genuine remorse. Somehow, he managed to escape unnoticed. He had always been curious about the Avery's ancestorial estate. It was said to rival that of the Malfoys. As he walked around, he could see what they meant. It was large. But he wouldn't say the two could hardly be compared. The Avery manor seemed like a combination of French architecture with middle eastern accents. Draco wanted so badly to see inside. He stood on his tiptoes to look inside the window.

"What are you doing?"

Draco turned on his heels, face turning red. He saw a 12-year-old Yn staring back at him.

"Nothing," he rushed.

She looked past him, staring at the house behind him like it was an evil spirit. She couldn't hold the look for long. Looking had paled her, making the redness of her cold cheeks more noticeable.

"Why didn't you cry?" The young Draco asked.

"What!" Yn was taken aback.

"That's a bit strange isn't it. Your mother died. And you didn't cry." The naïve Draco carried on talking. "Have you been back in there," He inquisitively motioned over his shoulder at the house. "If it was my mother..." Draco started.

"But it wasn't," Yn voice was barely a croak, but her eyes were filled with fury. How dare this boy judge her. Little did he know that she had no tears left to cry. It was only that she hated crying in front of others. It made her feel a vulnerableness that she could not afford to lend. Especially not now.

Just then an older lady, with stern features like Allister Avrey crossed the gravel, wrapping her arm over Yn's shoulder protectively. "There you are," she brushed back yn's hair. Then she looked up at Draco. "I believe your mother and father will be wondering where you have got to don't you Draco."

"Yes ma'am," Draco recoiled.

"Run along then," She raised her eyebrow at Draco, waiting for him to make a move. "Oh, and Draco. Stay away from the house. You'll find things that will give you nightmares."

Draco gulped and galloped away. But he overheard Yn's grandmother, gently crouch beside Yn. "Would you like to go now dear."

Yn was unable to speak and mumbled a desperate hum.

"Come on then." She took Yn's hand like Yn was a toddler. "We could make some pumpkin pasties or what is that muggle dessert that you love so much... lemon drizzle cake.."

And then she disappeared almost like her mother's body. No one really saw her again. Not properly anyway. Only every now and again. And one couldn't even be sure it was her. The only give aways were the thick black hair that she inherited from her mother, the hazel eyes that she inherited from her father and the faint beauty mark nestled just below the inner corner of her left eye.

In all these thoughts it occurred to Draco. Perhaps that is why they were intrigued by her. They thought she may have her mother's powers, not that there had been any evidence of that. Although how could there be. Her father had hidden her. But Draco could feel it. She did. In fact, she may have more. That would explain why he was drawn to her. But he wished he did not know. Being who she was would only put her in way. And being who he was, it may be him that caused her harm.