32

It was Katie Bell's paling face when she saw Draco that confirmed to Harry what Yn already knew.

Yn was headed to breakfast when he saw Draco hurtle past, gleaming with sweat.

"Draco?" Yn watched him escape into the bathroom. She looked around hoping no one would notice as she slipped in behind him. Since the night of Slughorn's Christmas Party the air between them had run stale. But the passing looks were ever prominent.

Draco lurched at the mirror, pulling off his sweater and steadying himself on the sink. Yn found him shuddering as he began to cry.

She held back unaware of what to say. Draco's eyes slid past her figure in the reflection. Horrified he turned around and wielding his wand. Only once he saw that it was Yn did he lower it.

"Draco," Yn was still speechless. She didn't need Draco to say anything. She could feel his fear from her position. Draco slid to the ground the tears spilling down his cheeks.

Yn rushed over to him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. "You okay." She rubbed his back. "You're okay. I got you."

"He knows." Draco whispered into her shoulders.

"Harry has been suspicious for a long time Draco." Yn released Draco and got to her feet. She folded her arms and paced over to the wall leaning against the tiles. "Draco what did they do to you?"

Draco lifted his head form his knees sniffling. "Tried to make me stronger."

"Is that what they told you," She scoffed.

"I had to prove myself. Prove that the Malfoys are loyal."

"But at what cost Draco?"

"My mother has been through a lot Yn. I'm trying to save her. I have a mother to save. Are you saying that you wouldn't do that for yours."

Yn throat dried. Would she? She had no idea. But did it matter? That wasn't going to happen. Her mother was died. And they killed her.

"How are they getting you to prove yourself Draco. These tasks? What before that? Before they gave you that mark." She stared into Draco's soul. "It was the Crucitas curse wasn't it. Can't you see Draco they are punishing you for your fathers' actions."

"That's why I have to prove myself," Draco shouted. Then his eyes widened. His eyes flickered to the noise at the entrance. He quickly jumped to his feet and produced his wand, casting a spell, that shattered the lamp next to Harry's head.

Yn's spirit jumped in alarm as the Draco and Harry began dualling.

The flames and curses zoomed past her and in all the chaos she remained frozen. Unable to move. Unable to speak. The world was a blur in front of her eyes. That was until she heard the words coming from Draco's lips.

"Cruci..."

"Draco, no." Yn lurched forward, the fear spilling from her eyes. She couldn't let him become like them. She had felt his heart through his chest. It was too soft. Too fragile. But before she could reach Draco Harry countered.

"Sectumsempra."

Blood began to seep form Draco's wounds and scarlet slashes appears through his white shirt. Draco staggered and collapsed whimpering in pain and the water on the floor around him began to run red.

Yn gasped in horror as she dropped to her knees beside him. She looked over the angry wounds that covered Draco.

"Don't touch me," Draco squirmed.

Yn's hands were shaking. Then she realised that Draco was screaming at Harry.

Harry stopped dead in his tracks his eyes transfixed on the flash of something Dark pushing through the wet fabric of Draco shirt sleeve. Harry's eyes slid to Yn's.

Yn's face was pale, and he lips quivering. She snatched her gaze away from Harry unable to look at him, knowing that he would see the terror she felt for Draco.

Luckily Snape burst through the doors and crouched down beside Draco. He curiously looked at the nature of Draco's wounds and then cocked his head towards Harry. Then he pointed his wand at Draco's trembling body and murmured an incantation.

Yn watched as Harry scuttled away.

"Miss Avery. Are you injured?"

"No Sir," she managed to squeeze out.

"Very well back to your dorm immediately. Speak of this to no one."

Yn nodded and clambered to her feet. He hesitated as her eyes lingered on Draco.

"Quickly now Y/N. Do not worry about Draco. I will take him the hospital wing. But might I suggest that you maintain your distance from Young Malfoy."

She silently nodded and backed out of the bathroom. A soon as she was out, she run swiftly down the corridors, until her lungs were on fire and she braced herself against a wall, hyperventilating. Of course, she was shocked about Draco's injury. But there was more to it. When Draco was cursed it was as if the power inside her was surging and as if she would die if he did. She didn't know what any of that meant but she had decided she would have to heed Snapes advice. She could feel the storm brewing and she needed to stay out of the way.