22

Yn sat down in her seat in Advanced Arithmancy Studies, but inside she was boiling over. So much so that it was evident in her grave eyes and rigid posture. How was yesterday her first official day back and some little bastard was already flashing about his entitlement. But these brats were going to get a rude awakening. They were too comfortable in the cocoons fabricated by their place in society but most of them had not seen the real world. Or felt real pain. She had spent all night reeling.

Yn was unable to stop fidgeting and her tunnel vison was clouding her judgment. She spent most of the class planning her revenge. And then talking herself out of it. To rise above it. Her father would be furious and only tell her that this is why he didn't want her to come back.

That was until she felt a hand come down on top of her leg. "Can you stop." Draco stared at his parchment writing away with his right hand while, his left landed on Yn's leg only momentarily just to get her to stop shaking her leg. "That's really distracting."

Yn glared at him. "Whatever," she rolled her eyes.

But Draco heard the poison drip from her voice. His stomach turned. It was like he knew. "What happened?" His mind was wandering to the worst.

The way he phrased it Yn knew that he wasn't just asking generally. But she looked ahead at the equations scrawled on the chalk board by Professor Septima Vector.

Draco dropped his quill and clenched his fist. He had hoped that Arithmancy would serve as the appropriate distraction from all of the issues he was facing. Now it seemed he had yet another dilemma, although he didn't know why Yn's mood bothered him so much. "What happened?" He repeated, gritting his teeth.

"Why do you care," Yn exclaimed in a whisper.

"i DON'T KNOW," he noted the volume of his own voice, that was raising alarm amongst neighbouring students. "I just do," he concluded.

"Just leave me alone," Yn replied, suddenly picking up her quill and stabbing her parchment with it with each scratch of the ink.

But Draco did not need Yn to tell him. Before long the rumour had spread that Theodore Nott had been bested by a girl. Draco was passing along the corridors on the way to the common room when he had a group of second year boys sniggering. He grabbed one of them by the collar. "Speak," he spit at the kid.

The kid spilled every iota of gossip that he had collated.

"Nott," Draco muttered dropping the kid back amongst his group. Draco charged towards the common room.

His nostrils were flared. He felt a sweat kick in. He strode through the library to take a short cut and by chance saw the veil of Yn's hair as she was slumped head down over a textbook. Draco slammed his fist on the table and leaned over her. "What did he do?"

Yn snapped her head up in surprise, her face dangerously close to Draco's. "What?"

Draco observed the curve of her lips. "I know you didn't punch him for no reason. What did the dickhead do?" He scanned over her to see if she was harmed but she looked uninjured. He knew the vile thoughts that ran through Theodore head, and it made him want to smother Theo.

Yn slammed her book closed and got up and walked towards the shelf. "Fuck off Malfoy."

Draco trailed after her, pulling her aside away from the prying eyes, in between two isolated bookshelves. He kept her close so her chest was millimetres away from his. He could feel like chest rising and falling. "I will kill him if he fucking touched you." He tried to read her face. It looked pained and agitated.

Yn cocked her head. "Yet you seem to be taking all the same liberties."

Draco became painfully aware of his grip on Yn's arm. He immediately loosened his grip and released her, allowing her to take a step back. He felt cold form the void she left.