4

POV: Kyle

after successfully locking up my bedroom door, i finally start the long, dreadfully hot walk to the bus stop. with jars in my bag, i am prepared to save any petals i would cough up. don't ask why i've decided to still collect them like pokémon cards, because i don't know myself.

when i arrive at the bus stop, i notice Kenny and Cartman already there. shit. i need to speak to Kenny alone, because i know if Cartman hears this he will bully me for the rest of my life.

"Hey Kyle!"

"Hey Kahlll!"

i sigh. "Hey fatass, and Kenny, I really need to talk to you."

i pause, looking at Cartman. he looks at me back.

after a few moments, i raise an eyebrow expectantly. "Oh!" he says, then he starts to walk further down the path to give us some privacy.

i turn to Kenny, and he looks back, confused.

"Kenny." i say.

"Kyle." he waits, and so do i.

"Well?" Kenny asks, tilting his head.

"Oh! Right! So, I coughed up some more flowers." i tell him, and he looks back at me with a blank expression on his face. i blink a few times, expecting an answer.

"Wait what?" he says after some time of uncomfortable silence.

"I said that I-"

"I know what you said. But what?" he looks at me with an emotion i cant decipher.

"Yeah." i mumble, unsure on what to say next.

"Dude that's awful, does it hurt?" he seems pitiful towards me, as he asks with genuine concern.

"Well, it's starting to hurt more when the petals increased, so-"

"Increased? What, in size?" Kenny interrupted, confusion washing over him in my strange phrasing.

"No, in number." i respond casually. he freezes, almost jaw dropped.

"What, so now you're puking two flowers?" he says in disbelief and worry for me.

"Three. It hurts like a bitch."

"Oh dude, maybe this is serious. We should do some research when we get to school, the IT computer room is usually open during recess so I'm happy to help you." he smiles warmly, and i felt a grin creep on my face at his kindness.

"Really? Thank you so much, man."

"It's alright. Who else knows?"

"Ike walked in on me puking flower petals, so he knows. And you know. Thats all. I don't want to tell anyone else yet until I know for sure what this stupid sickness is." i say with a slight hostility to my tone.

"F-"

"Are you guys done yettt???" Cartman calls out.

"N-" i go to speak before i'm interrupted.

"Hey guys!" Stan says as he walks up to us, smiling widely. I felt my eyes widen and my heart flutter at the sound of his voice, but then my stomach dropped when i remembered how he ditched me on saturday.

i don't respond to his greeting.

"Hey Stan" Kenny smiles as Cartman walks back over.

"Hi Stan. Hey Kinny, have you and Kahl stopped with your private makeout session?" Cartman teases, making my fists clench.

"Shut the fuck up fatass, it wasn't a makeout session. We were talking." i retort, biting at the inside of my cheek.

"About what?" Stan smiles. i stay quiet, and i think he noticed, because he walked up right next to me.

"Nothing." Kenny said, keeping eye contact on me. i just looked at the floor below.

"Kyle?" Stan asked, placing a hand on my shoulder.

i walk in between Kenny and Cartman, letting Stan's hand drop from my shoulder as I go. he watches me in confusion, and as do the others. im giving him the silent treatment. he should know what he's done to hurt me.

"Kyle? What's wrong?" he asks, stepping closer to me again. i step back, and he pauses. "Did I.. do something?" he asks, confused.

yeah like fuck he's confused. i just look down at my shoes on the floor, and everyone is silent. but it isn't a comfortable, waiting-for-the-bus silence,

its an awkward, stressful silence. and i hate it.

the bus finally arrives, and i'm the first to get on, moving straight to the back seat next to the window and placing my bag on the seat next to me so no one can join me.

i feel guilty, i really do. i feel bad for ignoring Stan like that. he seemed really.. hurt. but he deserves it, doesn't he? he cancelled on me for her. so much for bros before hoes.

but i cant help but miss him even though hes sat 2 bus rows infront of me.

i sigh, as Kenny shoves my bag off the seat and sits there himself. he looks at me with slight anger and confusion, and i just close my eyes.

"The fuck was that about?" he muffles, turning to face me.

i open my eyes and hold eye contact with him, before sighing again, then going to explain what happened. "He cancelled on me on saturday."

"So?"

"He said he was busy. I respected that, I didn't ask further."

"Okay, and?" he interrupts again, seemingly impatient.

"I saw on Wendy's instagram. They both went to the cinema together."

"Oh."

i nod, biting at my inner cheek.

"Have you tried.. talking to him?" Kenny suggests, raising an eyebrow as he speaks. and honestly, no. i didn't think of that. he could guess by the silent response what i was thinking.

"Okay.. so go talk to him."

"Now?"

"Now, before school."

"Okay-" i feel the now-familiar feeling rising in my chest, then to my throat. i start to cough into my palm, tears stinging my eyes. i practically gagged when the petals fell onto my hand.

i shove them into my pocket, rubbing the blood trail from my chin and the corner of my mouth.

Kenny looked at me in shock. "Woah dude! That looked painful, you just coughed up.. like.... fucking seventy!"

"It was three, again, but okay." i respond, rubbing slightly at my throat to soothe the pain.

"We really need to find you a doctor or something, that doesn't look healthy.."

i nod, looking up to see Stan sitting two rows infront, leaning against the window listening to music. i feel my stomach drop at the pessimistic sight of him, but i can't talk to him, not yet.

"How about we figure this out before we talk to Stan?" i suggest, looking back at Kenny, who nods in agreement.

exhaustion gnaws at me as i sit silently in the bus. i don't know what to say, and maybe that's fine.

the silence is more comfortable anyways, and i think Kenny would agree with me, if we spoke.

[1120 words]