Eight

17 Weeks

"Were you in the doghouse last night when you got home?" Calum asks as Luke wanders into the small green room.

"Pretty much." Luke sighs, "She's pissed, but it definitely could have been worse. She did make me sleep in the other room though, and wasn't as friendly as I'd hoped this morning. Mostly I think she is scared, she wasn't prepared for the fans to find out and without mentally being ready for that she spiraled into a panic attack once we were home."

"I was kind of surprised you posted the announcement on Instagram last night, was that her doing too?" Ashton asks.

"I mean, it was both of us. But she asked me to address it in post rather than pretend it didn't happen or ignore the frenzy online entirely. So I did." Luke shrugs. "Mostly I think she's ready to be on the plane tomorrow and back home where we can disappear from band related life for a few months. I think it will be easier for her to let go of her anger at me when she's not feeling on display so much."

"Can't blame her for that. She's the shyest person in our group and now she's the first girl to actually be pregnant, which is huge to the fans. Ya they loved when Crys and I announced we'd adopted Indy Kay, but it's different to actually be pregnant. She's going to have people prying into her life for months, wanting photos of the bump, wanting any and all info on the pregnancy and what baby Luke is going to look like. It's far and away outside her comfort zone." Michael smiles sympathetically.

"Ya, which is why we hadn't planned to tell the fans, at least not for a while longer. I feel so guilty for fucking that up for her."

"At least this interview is the last scheduled public event for the band until after the baby is here, you can take her home and hide away for the rest of the pregnancy together after today." Calum offers.

"Ya, I just have to get through the interview first." Luke chuckles weakly.

"Fitzy and Wippa are usually pretty respectful, it could be worse." Ashton tries.

"Also true."

"Where is El today anyway? Shouldn't she be teching for the little radio show?" Michael questions.

"Peter told her not to come, it's three guitars between the two of us and after last night he didn't want to make her work a small performance like today. She and my mum made plans, so they're off shopping or something."

"Might be better for her to be away from the interview and the fans here today. That was smart of Peter." Ashton nods.

"Ya, El was pretty relieved when he called and offered this morning. I think partly to have more time and space away from me too... but she and my mum were both excited about a few more hours together so I'm trying to focus on being happy that they got that."

"Should we get this interview done with? It's about time." Calum asks, bringing the group back to the attention of where they are.

"Last one for a while, boys. Let's do it." Ashton nods, grinning suddenly as he leads them out towards the radio show room.

"Good morning, guys. Welcome home." Fitzy greets them as they file in, Luke ending up between Michael and Calum as they take their seats, slipping his headphones on.

"Alright, we are going on air now, in three, two." The red light goes on as the show's jingle plays through their headphones, Luke adjusting slightly as they get going. He's more nervous than he'd like to be, and that's mostly due to the fact he knows he'll be on the spot about the baby news today.

"Welcome back, Sydney! It's Fitzy and Wippa, and during that commercial break we had some friends join us here in the studio. At this point I reckon we've interviewed these fellas over a hundred times, and we are excited to get to talk to them today before they head back to the states to write the next smash album. Coming off their largest Australian tour yet, it's 5 Seconds of Summer! Welcome in, guys."