Eighteen

Updating early because tomorrow is busy for me, being a US holiday and all.
———

⚠️TW//Medium⚠️

25 Weeks..?

"Luke," His head spins quickly, catching sight of eyes that look nearly as concerned as he feels. "Is she okay?" Peter's voice cracks slightly as he falls into the chair beside Luke.

"I don't know. They haven't given me anything hardly. The ER nurse said she was sent to scans and we were sent here to wait. I filled out all her paperwork and I've sat in this chair counting the seconds as the hand circles around that clock." He motions to the basic analog clock hung on the wall across from him. "When you called my name we were at 9,376 seconds since I sat down in this chair. It has felt like an eternity."

"What happened?" Peter asks softly.

"A car, it came out of nowhere, just flew around the corner and hit her." Luke shakes his head, his eyes tightening shut as he relives that moment. "The driver reversed and sped away before any of us could even process what had happened. Michael's trying to get info from the restaurant, or other shops around it, see if anyone got it on video by chance."

"And they don't know anything about the baby either?" Peter keeps going.

"No, and that might be more terrifying than not knowing how hurt Elodie is. At least I know El is alive, I don't know if our daughter is..."

"She is, my sister is as tough as they come, Luke. If Elodie is alive she has made sure that baby is also alive. I have to believe that. She loves that little girl so much, she would never let anything happen to her."

"I know she wouldn't, but she isn't in control this time, and that makes me uncertain and terrified. You didn't see the way she flew across that road, or the way she landed, you didn't see the pool of blood she left behind... I don't know where the blood came from, Pete, what if the landing ended the pregnancy instantly and that's where the blood came from?"

"You can't think like that, Luke. You can't." Peter's voice cracks slightly.

"He's right, Luke. You can't expect the worst, they are both going to be okay. They have to be." Crystal chimes in quietly.

"If I expect the worst then everything I'm told will be better than I'm expecting. Or at worst, it will be what I am expecting." Luke's tone comes out rather harsh, his emotions close to the surface again.

"Have some hope, Luke. We have to keep hope for both of them." Crystal reaches across the armrest to take his hand again squeezing it tightly between her own.

"I'm losing any and all hope by the second, I need to know where my girls are, and I need to know what is happening with them."

"Hey, guys." Michael appears suddenly. He evidently went home to change before coming here, his outfit now consisting of joggers and a hoodie, a duffle bag over his shoulder. "Any news?"

"Nothing yet, what have you got for us?" Crystal shakes her head.

"Ash and Brooke have Indy for the night, they're on standby for whatever we need, as are Cal and Brandy. They offered to come here but I told them we didn't need a crowd yet, especially since we don't know what's going on entirely at this point. Peter obviously beat me here. I called him as soon as I left the restaurant. The restaurant said they will process their footage from the front of the building and send it to the police who have opened a case for this hit and run. We weren't able to get into contact with the other shops on the block, but someone connected to the case will get anything else we can tomorrow when those places are open. No one caught the make or model of the car or license plate number though, so if we can't find anything through the camera footage we are at an impasse. Hopefully someone can give us the information we need tomorrow. I wish I had more or at least better news for you tonight, Luke. They have both your number and mine, they'll let us know if there's a break in the case at any point. Right now, you just need to focus on your girls and being here for them." Michael fills them in as quickly and concisely as he can.