Twenty-Nine

31 weeks

"A mango smoothie for the birthday girl." Luke sets the smoothie in Elodie's hand, settling himself down behind her on the towel with his own smoothie.

"This is perfect, Lu. Thank you." Elodie sighs, letting her back rest comfortably against his bare chest.

"Nowhere in the world I'd rather be." He mumbles, kissing her head softly as he wraps a hand around her to rest on her stomach.

"Me either. Twenty-eight is starting so good, all thanks to you and Maui." Elodie chuckles.

"The sixth birthday I've got to spend with you, pretty girl. And a lifetime more to make even better than this one."

"You've been pretty good at making each one special so far. I mean, twenty-three we weren't even dating yet. Although, that may or may not have been because we were both fighting the feelings still." She laughs, "You planned a perfect night though, my favorite food, cake, the silly little paper banner in your hotel room."

"And you're favorite movie remember." Luke chuckles.

"And that beautiful leather journal. The first gift you ever gave me. I've filled it with so many little stories and notes about you over the last five years."

"Twenty-four I surprised you with that party the weekend before the 5sos Show tour started. I flew your sisters in to surprise you and you got drunk enough to talk to Ashton and Calum finally." Luke laughs as he thinks back.

"Good times with The Sober Shit and Mr. Slippery Shot." El nods, a beautiful laugh filling the afternoon air.

"You were so hung over the next day." Luke chuckles, "but that just meant cuddles all day, which I didn't mind."

"Twenty-five was so good. A winter getaway in Australia with your family to get us out of the heat of California. Skiing on my birthday was never something I expected to do, but that trip was fun."

"Ya, that was a good trip, and my brothers proved they love you more than me with the gifts they got each of us."

"They didn't get me anything overly fancy." El laughs, "Just some tacky Australian souvenirs."

"Jack literally gave me a pack of gum because he forgot." Luke chuckles.

"Alright, I guess maybe you're right." El concedes. "Twenty-six was one of my favorites honestly."

"I was wading neck deep in album prep, I didn't see you for more than a couple hours that day. How was it one of your favorites?"

"You were busy, but you made sure I felt loved. You planted twenty-six gifts around the house that day for me to find. My favorite bubble bath was waiting in the bathroom when I woke up, my favorite coffee delivered right on time with a danish. A new laptop I desperately needed for freelance writing was waiting on my desk, my favorite candy on the coffee table, and a new pair of slipper socks in my drawer. To top it all off though, you came home with my favorite dinner and a little cake and we curled up in bed to watch A Cinderella Story just like that first birthday. It was simple, but it was so thoughtful, and I loved that about it."

"And then there was twenty-seven." Elodie can hear the smile in Luke's voice as his fingers move to play with her engagement ring."

"It will never be topped, starting my birthday with you proposing was perfect. We were on tour again, in the place it all started and you made it a day I will never forget. Even being a travel day for tour it was perfect. I got to spend it cuddled up on a bus with you, looking through all the photos Ryan took, reliving the joy and beginning the planning for our wedding. It was still a secret to the world that we were engaged and we spent my birthday enjoying everything that is us."

"Ya, last year was so special. I can't believe it's been a whole year since I nearly gave myself a panic attack before dropping to one knee and asking you to marry me." He chuckles.

"Why you were nervous is beyond me. I've wanted to be your wife for years at this point. My answer was going to be yes and I know you knew that."

"Didn't matter, I was still nervous."

"Twenty-eight sitting on a beach in Maui drinking my body weight in smoothies and eating fresh fruit by the pound is not bad either. Especially knowing we are less than two months away from meeting our baby girl." Elodie shifts slightly to smile up at Luke.

"It's exactly what you and I both needed this week." Luke bends slightly to peck her lips. "And by twenty-nine you will be my wife, and our baby girl will be big enough to give you a million slobbery baby kisses for your birthday."

"I can't wait." Elodie giggles, "To be your wife and to have our girl there to celebrate with."

"Me too." Luke sighs, sipping at his smoothie again as his eyes scan the horizon, the waves rolling in softly.

"Every birthday from twenty-three until I die will always be special, Lu." Elodie whispers. "Because every birthday since twenty-three has been with you, and I've found myself a little bit less broken each year."

"I want to give you the world, pretty girl, and I'll spend every year doing everything I can to achieve that goal."

"You've given me a family, a home, unconditional love, and helped me discover strength I didn't know I possessed. You've given me your world and I am happy to have such a central place in it."

"You aren't in my world, El. You are my world. Everything else would fall apart if you weren't here in my arms."

"My world was the fall out of a natural disaster before I met you. And though not everything is fixed, and we've hit a few more disasters along the way it's much more manageable with you holding my hand."

"Always here to hold you." Luke assures, his arms tightening around her.

"We should probably head back up to the room soon, we have a dinner reservation to make remember."

"I would never forget my girl's birthday dinner." He chuckles, kissing the side of her head one more time before helping her to her feet.

***

LukeHemmings
Maui, Hawaii

Liked by jackhemmings, crystalleigh, and others Lukehemmings: Happy birthday, pretty girl

Lukehemmings: Happy birthday, pretty girl. I love you more today than I did yesterday, and less than I will tomorrow; forever. Thank you for making all my personal dreams into realities. Here's to 28, the year you become a mum and my wife. It's going to be tough to beat, but I'll spend the rest of our lives trying ❤️❤️

Guitargirl9: being loved by you is everything ❤️ our girl and I are so so lucky to be yours

BabyHemmowatch: happy birthday Elodie, enjoy your baby moon/birthday trip this week

—————————
Cute and fluffy because baby moon and birthday. Enjoy it.

Life is majorly busy, and I leave for New York one week from today for 5sos weekend!!! I have literally one draft written so hopefully I can find time to write so we have updates beyond Tuesday. 😅

Vote and comment!

I love you guys!!!

~M =)