Twenty-One

25 Weeks

"You're sure she's okay this time? They're sure? They told us she was fine last night and clearly they were wrong!" Crystal is pacing as she talks, the group FaceTime call Luke had set up having gone on for the last twenty minutes as he tried to explain everything that had happened with El to his friends.

"They didn't do scans of her stomach before to protect the baby, but when the blood issue happened they did full scans, to make sure they didn't miss anything else. She's good, and the miracle blood saved us from having a super, super premature birth last night too. She's just sleeping, and healing now." Luke repeats himself, understanding why Crystal is pissed but also tired of saying it all over and over again.

"She's still asleep?" Brandy frowns, "I really would like to see her awake for myself."

"Me too." Luke sighs, "Sleep is good for her though, it helps her body heal and it keeps her from feeling all the pain she's in. Plus, after being put under twice last night all those drugs are still mixed up in her system and will keep her more or less asleep for a day or two. I'll at least get a video of her telling you guys she's okay when she wakes up at some point today."

"We appreciate that, Luke. Remind her we are all here rooting for her too, and want to help anyway she or you needs." Brooke adds.

"Right now, I think we just need to breathe. The last eighteen or so hours have been a lot, and now that she and baby Hemmo are both safe for sure, we all need to just breathe for a minute. Everything else can be sorted as need be and most of it once we know how long El will be here at the hospital. I feel like we may need more help once she's home."

"And we will be there to help." Crystal jumps in quickly.

"I've already talked to one person about the hit and run case this morning, Luke. I told them to go through me for anything they need, since you two are dealing with medical issues. I'll relay any information they give me and make sure I keep you in the loop, but I didn't want to put that on you right now also." Michael speaks up as there's a small lull.

"Thank you, Mike. Have they found anything new?"

"They've made contact with most of the shops on the street, they're trying to collect data and video to see if they can piece anything together. They are also trying to get footage from the street the car came from just before the incident."

"Let me know if they find anything." Luke nods, glancing over his phone to where Elodie is laying in the bed, sleeping peacefully with her hands relaxed against her stomach.

"There's something else you should know, Luke." Ashton sighs, pulling Luke's attention back to his phone.

"What?"

"The fans know. I don't even know how, but gossip articles started after the initial news story about the hit and run. Somehow someone got El's name and they are running wild with the conspiracies on Twitter. Just don't look, it's not going to help you stay calm and it's nothing you or El needs to see right now."

"Are they sure, or are they just speculating and panicking?" Calum speaks up finally.

"They're pretty convinced, but some are trying to reason that they have no proof. Whatever source they got their information from seems to be pretty legit though, so I don't know. Eventually you may have to address it, that's all I'm saying, Luke."

"Not yet, not until she's awake, healed for the most part, and home. The fans can wait. Elodie and I don't like them in our personal life anyway, and it doesn't get much more personal than this." Luke sighs, running a hand through his hair yet again.