Twelve

*updating early cuz I work early tomorrow and don't want to make you wait all day 🫶🏻
———

22 weeks

"Luke?" Elodie whispers softly into the darkness. She knows he's not asleep, his breathing is too irregular for that, and he keeps shifting slightly.

"Yes, pretty girl?" He turns fully in the bed to face her, his blue eyes seeming to glow from the little bit of light slipping through the curtains.

"I can't sleep." She sighs, grateful when his hand reaches out softly to brush along her arm, "I'm terrified of sleeping, of waking up and having to deal with everything that tomorrow is..." She admits rather candidly.

"Shhh." He coos, sliding closer and slipping his arm under her, pulling her easily into his embrace. "It's all going to work out, El. We are all going to be there to hold you through this. You are so strong, and you are going to be able to fight for our family. I believe in you, and so does our baby girl."

"I keep having nightmares about my mom. She gets parole and comes to LA, she does crazy things and tries to take this little one from us. She hurts us, she threatens us, she breaks into our house..."

"Hey, hey, I will never ever let anyone lay a hand on you or our baby, Elodie. I promise. She's not going to come anywhere near us. I won't allow it."

"I want to believe that, and she's never actually been violent towards me, but this is a big change and I wasn't expecting it. You know how badly I handle these kinds of things."

"I know. I know, pretty girl." He hums, pressing a kiss to her hairline, "Come on, I want to get your mind off tomorrow for a bit."

"What?" She frowns slightly as he pulls away.

"Come with me, pretty girl." He chuckles, slipping pants up his legs before tossing a jacket to her, slipping his hoodie over his own head.

"Where are we going?"

"If you have to ask that question I might need the ring back." He jokes, holding a hand out to her as he chuckles.

"The roof." She grins suddenly, sliding herself out of the bed, slipping into the jacket he offered her.

"There it is." He smiles, slinging an arm over her shoulders as they head for the door together, Luke reaching for the keycard on the desk as they pass.

"Thank you, Luke." Elodie mumbles, cuddling into his chest as they ride the elevator up to the top floor.

"Anything for you, pretty girl." He presses his lips to her head again, snapping a selfie of them in the mirrored wall of the elevator.

"Why capture this moment? I'm scared, we're both exhausted and I'm keeping you awake. Why would you want to remember this?"

"Almost all of our crucial moments, the ones that make us us, they all happened either on a roof or in a stressful situation, or both. Capturing the real moments of us helps remind me how lucky I am to have you, to know we have each other through thick and thin. Always. Plus, cute cuddly selfies with my girl are always good." He shrugs, pulling her out of the elevator and towards the access door.

"I guess that's true." She mumbles under her breath, feeling somehow lighter as they exit the door onto the roof, the moon visible above them in the sky.

"Come over here real quick, El." Luke pulls her to the edge of the roof, curling his arms around her from behind and leaning his head on hers. "Do you see this city, it reaches for miles and miles in all directions, lights almost as far as the eye can see no matter which way you turn. And this is just one city, in one state, in one country. You and I, we are each just one of billions of people on this planet, and one of millions in this city alone, and so is your mom. She's just one person, she may seem so large and threatening in your mind, El, and that's understandable. But she's just one person, and one person cannot ruin the world, not one as insignificant as a petty thief with anger issues who used you as an excuse to disregard her moral compass. And I refuse to let her ruin our world, El. I promise. You and me, and little baby girl Hemmings are going to continue to have the most beautiful life. Our own little family, happy, quiet, and ours to fill with joy and love. It's all going to be okay, I promise."