Twenty-Three

26 Weeks

"How are we feeling today, Elodie?" The doctor asks as he enters her room, smiling as she holds a thumbs up sign to him. "Are you ever going to talk to me?" He chuckles.

"Not likely, she didn't talk to me for like two months after we met, and others it took a lot longer, some nearly a year and a half." Luke laughs. "She hasn't been complaining about anything though, and seems to be more herself everyday. We're both ready to know when I get to take her home mostly."

"Let's schedule an ultrasound on your kidney for after lunch and I may be able to give at least an estimate of that timetable after that. Our big concern is the kidney needing more help."

"Sounds good to us." Luke nods, turning as Elodie grips his arm softly, a conversation passing between their eyes.

"Oh, Elodie actually wanted to know if we could get in touch with the girl who donated the blood, Stella something. She said she would be interested in meeting El once she was awake." Luke asks.

"I can get the message to her." The doctor nods, smiling before leaving the room again.

"Thank you." Elodie sighs, shifting slightly in the bed. "I am definitely ready for our bed and my seven hundred pillows." She adds with a chuckle.

"As soon as we can, I'll take you home and tuck you in. Miss piggy will curl up beside you and we will get to order all the stuff for our princess Atlas's room."

"I love that plan." El sighs, running her hand over her swollen belly.

"Me too." Luke smiles, pressing a kiss to the side of Elodie's stomach, smiling as he earns a kick to the mouth in response. "I love you so much, Atlas Blu Hemmings." He mumbles.

"She loves her daddy too, we both do." El smiles, brushing a couple of his curls back. "You know, Crystal has offered to come stay with me for a couple hours so you can go home and get a good shower and some real rest. It would be okay."

"I don't want to go home without you two. And the shower here works well enough." He counters.

"Not for your hair."

"Eh, greasy hair never hurt anyone. I'll shower once you're home with me. I can't be gone and have something happen here while I'm so far away."

"Nothings going to happen, Lu. I'm okay, Atlas is okay."

"It's been four days and we are still here, El." He points out.

"Precautionary measures. We'll be home soon." She giggles.

"Don't laugh at me." He pouts.

"But you're cute, and your concern for us is enduring."

"I can't lose you, Elodie. I can't, and for a few hours this week I had to face the idea that I might. I don't want to be away from you now, not if it's too far to hear if you call for me. I can't, not until you're back on your feet. I'm sorry." His tone falls slightly, vulnerability oozing from his words.

"Hey, don't apologize, Luke. I can't even fathom what you went through Sunday night. The idea of losing you or our baby isn't even comprehensible for me. I was just suggesting you could go home to help you feel better, but if it's not going to help, don't go. I have no problem keeping you close, but I think you already knew that. I'm so sorry for what you've had to deal with mentally and emotionally this week, and for keeping you cooped up in this hospital room with me, but I'm so grateful you're here too."

"Of course I'm here. I'll always be here, beside you. Whether it's at home, on tour, in this hospital, anywhere. Wherever you are, pretty girl, that's where I want to be." He pushes, tightening his hold around her hand. "The greasy hair can wait, as long as yours is greasy mine will be too, because I am not leaving here without you. I can't."