Chapter 14: First Impressions

The door opens and a girl with curly brown hair pops her head in.

Hadrian squints, "Can we help you?".  

She looks around, "Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville has lost one".

Draco shakes his head, "No we haven't. Now, if you don't mind, please leave our compartment".

Hadrian waves his hand and Draco's book zips out of his hands and floats into his.

Draco shoots his head up, "Hey!".  

Hadrian laughs, "You've been reading it all week, I want a turn".

"It's my gift".

"You took my sketchbook yesterday".

The girl interrupts the bickering, "Hang on, how did you do that?". 

Hadrian looks confused, "Do what?".

She gestures between the Malfoy brothers, "That, the wandless and wordless magic. No first year should be able to do that. I don't understand".

He places the book on his lap, "There is nothing to explain other than my brother and I being advanced in our skills. Now, please leave us alone as there is no toad here".  

The girl thinks for a minute and instead comes inside the compartment and closes the door behind her. She squeezes herself next to Blaise, right in front of Hadrian. The boys all turn to her confused, Draco having a look of anger present on his face.

She sticks her hand out, "I'm Hermione Granger".  

Hadrian turns to his brother, noticing his face and emotion towards the girl.

He moves his bangs out of his face and leans back, "Hadrian Malfoy".  

She looks at his forehead and gasps, "Oh my goodness. You're Harry Potter. That explains why you have advanced abilities, of course. I know all about you, you're in Modern Magical History, The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the 20th Century".

Hadrian stiffens, "Is that right?".  

She smiles and nods, "Do you know what House you'll be in? I'm hoping for Gryffindor, I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but I think I might just die if they put me in Slytherin. That was You-Know-Who's house-".

"That's enough!".

Everyone in the compartment holds their breath, Hermione stiffens in shock.

She stutters, "Excuse me?".  

He gives her a death glare, "You clearly have hearing problems, Granger. My name is not Harry Potter".

"But you have the-".

"My name...is Hadrian Malfoy, son of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy. I am not some celebrity that you get to fawn over. You know nothing about me. Now for the last time...get out of our compartment".

Hermione stutters and looks at the other boys, who refuse to make eye contact. Draco pulls Blaise closer to him, while the twins keep their eyes on Hadrian. Hermione keeps her eyes down as she makes her way out.  

Once she is out of view, Hadrian sighs and leans his elbows on his knees, hiding his face in his hands.

Draco takes his hand, "Hades, you ok?".

He sighs, "I hate that I'm still tied to that forsaken name". He turns to the Weasley twins and then back to his brother, "J'aurais pu la tolérer un peu plus si elle n'avait pas parlé de notre grand-père" (I could have tolerated her a bit more if she hadn't mentioned our grandfather).

Draco sighs and nods, "C'est compréhensible" (Understandably).  

Blaise nods, "I think it's safe to say that she will not be part of our inner circle".