Chapter 20: The House of Slytherin

Just as the feast came to an end, all the food, plates and cutlery had disappeared from the table. The Malfoy twins had already made friends with the first year Slytherins as well as some of the older students who loved the stories about Professor Snape.

As they are laughing together, Blaise sighs, "What now?".

Hadrian turns to see Dumbledore rising from his seat at the High Table. 

The Headmaster announces, "If I may, I have a few start-of-term notices to announce. First Years should note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all pupils. Also, our caretaker, Mr Filch has asked me to remind you...".

They all turn towards the entrance to see a sour-looking man, a cat with glittering red eyes sitting at his feet.  

Dumbledore continues, "...that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. And finally, please note that this year, the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death".  

The hall goes quiet. The students suddenly had an air of fear and the professors looked confused as to why he just threatened children. He concluded the feast and the first years were instructed to follow the Prefects to their respective common rooms.  

Hadrian walked near the front of the group with Draco and Blaise by his side, as well as Crabbe and Goyle walking behind them. He was chatting with the Prefects and fueling their curiosity about Severus. They get to the entrance of the Slytherin common room, stopping in front of a portrait. 

The male prefect, Cameron, turns to the first years, "This is the portrait of Salazar Slytherin, one of the four founders of Hogwarts. He is one who protects us, he only allows Slytherins and those he deems worthy to enter the common room".

The female prefect, Grace, continues, "We are the only house in Hogwarts not to use a password of sorts to be able to enter. Salazar will let you in himself or he will inform those of us inside and we can open the portrait. Be careful who you decide can enter".  

Salazar moves in the portrait, "Well said, you two. Good evening, snaklings. I am very proud to have you all as a part of my house. You all share the qualities that I have valued and what I believe will make you all some of the greatest witches and wizards of your generation". He looks down and smirks as he notices the twins, "Hm. Severus was right. You do look very much alike".  

Hadrian and Draco smile proudly, "Thank you, sir".

Salazar bows his head slightly, "Speaking of, your head of house is waiting for you all inside. I welcome you all to the House of Slytherin. Take pride in your House and look out for one another".  

His portrait opens and Cameron leads the group inside, the students looking around in awe at their common room. The room was sported in different shades of green. There were dark green leather couches placed around the room with wooden side tables. There was a square table that sat two with a Wizard's Chess set on top. There were tapestries hanging on the walls with many famous Slytherins stitched into the fabric. There was a mantled fireplace with a serpent's head carved out of stone on the wall above it.  

Hadrian turns to see his favourite godfather standing in front of an archway that leads to a staircase. He taps Draco's arm to turn his attention and the two run up to give Severus a big hug.

He laughs, "I swear to Merlin, you two are going to ruin my reputation".