Chapter 22: First Potions Class

Hadrian, Draco and Blaise make their way through the dungeons, towards the Potions lab for their first class with their godfather. Their new bodyguards, Crabbe and Goyle, were following close behind them.  

They walk into class and notice there are only a few other Slytherins already inside. There were four main tables placed in a square formation in the middle of the room, each table seated six people. There were shelves lining the walls, filled with jars of different potions ingredients. Cauldrons of different sizes, boxes of beakers and test tubes were underneath the tables.  

The five of them find a table to themselves, getting their textbooks out and placing them on the table. The twins direct their friends to the recipe for the Cure for Boils, as Severus had given them a heads up. As they start reviewing, the rest of the students, both Slytherin and Gryffindor, start to file into the classroom.  

As they find their own tables, Hadrian hears a shrilling voice behind him, "Oh, Harry. Did you save this spot just for me?".

He sighs as he turns to see Hermione sitting in the empty seat next to him, a wide smile on her face. She places her books down on the table as the other boys turn in disgust.

Before he could respond, Theo walks up to the group, "Hadrian. There seems to be a pest in my spot. Care to exterminate?".  

Hadrian smirks, "I would love to". He turns to Hermione, "I will give you one chance before my godfather gets here and kicks you out himself".  

She frowns and leaves, going to sit next to Ron instead. They hear the sound of a door opening and turn to see Severus walking out, quieting down at his presence.  

He stands at his desk, "There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few...". He glances at his godsons, "...who possesses the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death". He walks around the front of the desk, "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to...not pay attention". 

He notices Hermione not facing the front, but instead had her eyes trained on his godsons' table. He couldn't tell exactly which one, but he knew neither would be reciprocated for obvious reasons.

He walks up to her table, "Miss Granger. Tell me. What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?".  

She jumps in her seat, turning towards Severus, "What?".

He hums, "You don't know. Let's try again. Where, Miss Granger, would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?".

"Um...".

"And the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?".  

She stiffens under his gaze, her silence causing Hadrian's table to laugh quietly.

He shakes his head, "Hm, shame. Since you seem so interested in my godsons, why don't we ask them?". He smirks and walks over to their table, "Boys, if you will?".

Hadrian straightens his posture, "Asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of the Living Dead".

Draco continues, "A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and will save you from most poisons".

They smirk together, "Monkshood and wolfsbane are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite".  

Severus nods, "Well done, boys". He turns to the class, "Well, why aren't you all copying this down?".  

Everyone, save for the boys on their table, scrambled to quickly write down what the boys had recited.

Severus walks back to his desk, "And Gryffindors. Note that five points will be taken from your House for your classmate's wandering eyes".