17. day one in ta'unui (1)

"Slept late last night, I presume?"

Katiya jumped, startled by Rotxo's grandmother's voice coming from outside the girls' Marui.

Sleeping late wasn't the issue. Since Tsireya and Kiri were early risers, they left before dawn to assist some Ta'unui women with breakfast preparations.

Katiya, on the other hand, couldn't be bothered by such trivial tasks. Her love of sleep had won over her desire to help.

She was content to lie in bed until the sun rose and the village came alive. On days like these, she would often make her way to the shoreline and spend the morning there, watching the waves roll in and out. It was her special way of finding peace and solace from her chaotic past.

"H-How did you know I was here?" Katiya stuttered, waving her hands in front of Rotxo's grandmother's face.

"I may be blind, but I'm not deaf," she scoffed, smacking Katiya's thigh with her wooden stick. 

"Ow!" Katiya bit her lip and rubbed her thigh to soothe the aching pain.

What was the deal with old people and hitting others with objects? Even her grandmother, Mo'at, loved to smack her and her siblings sometimes, usually because they did something wrong.

"The clinking of seashells wasn't difficult to miss."

"Oh," Katiya frowned. "Those are Kiri's. She likes to collect them for her arts and crafts."

"And your sister told me you'd be here," Rotxo's grandmother stated with a mischievous smile on her face. "Now tell me, where are you headed this morning? To see a certain Metkayina boy, I presume?"

Katiya rolled her eyes.

"You like to suggest many things, but no, I'm actually about to walk to the shore," Katiya replied. "Would you like to accompany me?"

Rotxo's grandmother smiled and Katiya looped her arm through hers and led them toward the shore.

The sun rose on the horizon, and the waves lapped against the shore. The two of them watched the sunrise in silence, marveling at the beauty around them as they walked arm-in-arm along the shoreline.

Katiya's heart ached for a moment, as she was reminded of her Grandmother back at High Camp. Sighing, she decided to strike up a conversation to distract herself from her memories.

"Why don't you help your grandson find a mate instead of his friend?" Katiya asked, pondering why Rotxo's grandmother kept trying to hook Aonung up with a girl.

"My grandson is many things and will never make a bad husband. I may be biased but Rotxo has a compassionate heart, perhaps a bit too kind. However, I do not doubt that he will have trouble finding his future wife."

"Are you suggesting Aonung was born without a heart?" Katiya asked. "Because I absolutely agree with you. It makes sense now why you're trying to help him find a wife."

Rotxo's grandmother laughed. "The Olo'eyktan's son will make a fine husband, Kati. You should keep an open mind and look deeper into his heart. There may be something there you haven't seen before."

"That's a really funny joke. Did you have a secret conversation with my parents before we came here?" Katiya replied sarcastically. "They've been talking to me about mating too. Besides, there are plenty of girls here and back at Awa'atlu for him to choose from."

"You are correct. But I believe he has already chosen."

It didn't suit Katiya's mood that the old lady had a mischievous smile on her face as she said that.