36. hate me

It was only the warm orange glow of the torches that radiated from the shore of Awa'atlu that illuminated the gathering of a ceremony in the dark.

A peek, a glance behind the blazing fire was all it took for Katiya to see the chiseled arm of a Metkayina boy, newly inked with swirls of tattoos.

Aonung stood tall and proud, a symbol of strength and courage among the other young warriors.

She managed to avoid him for the whole day. Yet, here she was, still trying to avoid him. In her hand was her songchord adorned with the broken seashell she had obtained from Tsireya.

Katiya had decided to confront her about the seashell.

Music filled the shores of Awa'atlu, and people began to dance in celebration among the villagers. For some time now, Aonung has been walking around looking for Katiya.

At his wits' end, he desperately searched for her in the crowd.

"Kati, where are you going?" Neteyam asked, handing Tuk a leaf plate of food.

"Have you seen Tsireya?" Katiya asked, looking around.

"No, but she's probably with Loak somewhere. Why are you—"

"Kati."

The sound of Aonung's voice piqued her ears, and she quickly took off.

"Talk to me later," she mouthed to Neteyam, disappearing into the crowd.

Aonung scoffed, his tongue darting across his lower lip as he met Neteyam's gaze.

"Uh, let me guess, hide and seek?" Neteyam raised a brow at him.

"What the fuck is that?" Aonung's brows creased in confusion, giving Neteyam a strange look.

"Oh, right. Kati hides and you seek her, yadee yadee yadaa. It's a Sky People game."

"Then yeah, hide and seek," Aonung shrugged. She might have been embarrassed that they kissed, or she might have been in denial once again.

"Oh! Oh! Can I play?" Tuk asked excitedly.

"Tuk, let's leave them alone," Neteyam nagged, pulling her back by the arm.

The little girl whined and stomped her foot.

"But I want to play with them!" she protested.

Neteyam sighed and shook his head. "No, they're busy playing a different kind of hide and seek. We'll find someone else to play with."

As he said this, he looked at Aonung who had tuned them out, his eyes fixed on Katiya dancing in the crowd. She immersed herself in the music, moving along with the others, to keep distance from Aonung.

He watched her, mesmerized by her beauty, his heart aching with longing. But he remained rooted in his spot, only touching her with his gaze.

"Look at him, finally opening up to her," Ronal whispered, leaning in toward her husband as she looked at her son.

Dancing in a circle around the fire, Aonung couldn't tear his eyes away from Narini. Or so his mother thought.

Right behind Narini was Katiya, who noticed his gaze as she tried not to look in his direction.

She could feel his eyes on her, and her heart ached with the same longing. She wanted to be close to him, to be in his arms, but she stayed away.

She knew that if she went to him, she would never be able to leave, and she had to save herself.

As she flicked her wrists and ankles to the beat of the music, she twirled gracefully, the glowing fire making her shine like a goddess.

Her steps were light and she smiled as she danced, a rare sight. Her movements were effortless and she seemed lost in the moment, her body swaying and spinning in complete harmony with the music.