40. the end

*Author's Note*

Hey, babes!

If you haven't seen my latest post, please be sure to take a look at it. It is of utmost importance that you do this since it will determine which book I should write next after this one, hehe.

Also, the next chapter of my Neteyam book will be up tomorrow!

Once again, please don't be afraid to voice your thoughts on these pages! You guys know how much I love to read your comments 🤍

I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend! Love you.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Who was it?

Loak or Neteyam?

Katiya's mind raced with thoughts, a painful ache striking her heart with every passing second.

How could this have happened? Would it have been better if she had gone inside the ship?

Unanswered questions tormented her as guilt and sorrow consumed her.

She failed to protect what she loved once again. And it hurt like hell.

"I got your daughters—all three of them. My offer still stands, same deal as before. You for them." Quaritch's voice held no remorse for the deaths and destruction he caused.

This made Katiya  sick to her stomach as her guilt and sorrow morphed into rage. She looked around the fires eating the ship as it slowly sank into the sea.

"Colonel, got another one for you."

Katiya's eyes flicked toward the direction of the voice and she froze.

An Avatar Recombinant had Aonung by the arm.

His hands were tied behind his back, his lips were bleeding, and his wound soaked the bandage around his chest.

"The Chief's son. Led a group of warriors and took down many of our soldiers underwater." Aggressively, he threw Aonung to the floor in front of her.

The sight of his state broke her heart; he was barely conscious. They hurt him badly.

Her heart ached painfully when he opened his eyes to look at her, the corner of his lips curling upward into an exhausted smile.

"Hey, sweetheart," Aonung managed to utter, his voice weak and hoarse.

After Neteyam took a hit, Aonung and the others met Tsireya in the middle of making their way toward a stranded rock. Having learned from his sister of Katiya's whereabouts, Aonung didn't hesitate to gather a few of his fellow warriors and set out after her.

He couldn't lose her when he just had her.

Quaritch noticed the look between the two lovers and spoke into the earpiece. "You there, Corporal? I'll even play nice for once and let one of your daughters go in exchange for the Chief's son. You just tell the Chief to send his men away from my ship. I won't be so kind next time."

Katiya opened her mouth to speak, but the last string in her broke when Quaritch delivered a blow to Aonung's side.

He grunted painfully as Tuk screamed his name while Kiri looked terrified, her eyes wide with concern.