25. changes

"Let's just throw the piece of meat overboard," Aonung said.

Tsireya, perched behind Loak on his ikran, smacked her brother's head.

"Do not, Aonung. Spider is a friend, a brother of the Sullys," she hissed, unimpressed.

"Spider is not a threat. He is one of us," Loak said firmly.

Katiya glared at Aonung from behind Neteyam as they flew level with Aonung and Rotxo on the other side of Aonung's skimwing.

Aonung scoffed. "Are you blind? What shade of blue do you see on him?"

Katiya looked him in the eyes, her gaze unwavering.

"You don't know him like we do, so I don't really care for your opinion," she said. "He's been a part of our family for years, and we know he will never betray us."

Aonung wasn't convinced, but he had no real evidence to contradict her. So he remained silent, his gaze fixed on hers.

He knew it was pointless to argue, but he couldn't help but feel uneasy. The others could feel tension brewing between them.

From above, Spider and Kiri were unaware of the conversation below. They were too busy sightseeing and joking around like they always do.

Rotxo tightened his grip on Aonung's shoulder and gave Neteyam a worried look. A sigh escaped Neteyam's lips as he spoke to ease the tension.

"Look, I know it's been a long day of flying and we're all exhausted. The most sensible thing we can do for now is take Spider with us and let my parents decide what to do from here on out," he said, making eye contact with each person. "We'll stop at Three Brothers Rocks and then fly the rest of the way home. Aonung, how long until we reach Awa'atlu?"

Taking his eyes off Katiya, Aonung tightened his jaw and stared into the distance.

"A few minutes before eclipse, give or take," he replied, advancing on his skimwing.

"Great, let's not waste any more time then." Neteyam smiled, dissipating the tension in the air.

With that, the conversation was terminated.

They traveled in silence for the remainder of the journey, each reflecting on what had just been discussed.

By the time they reached their destination, the sky was awash in a deep red hue and small speckles of stars.

Taking the opportunity to stretch their muscles, they dismounted from their ikrans and settled on a large stranded rock, letting the cool evening breeze brush against their faces.

"Ow," Katiya winced as Kiri reapplied healing serum to her burn.

"Sorry," Kiri mumbled, careful with her movements.

The sisters were situated separately on another rock, away from the others for privacy.

"So... um, Aonung treated your wound?" Kiri asked, giving Katiya a strange look as she finished replacing the old fabric with a fresh white bandage from her pouch.

Katiya shifted uncomfortably, her gaze shifting away from her sister's.

"I won't tell Mom," Kiri continued.

At the mention of their mother, Katiya's face became hot with embarrassment.

"What? What does Mom have to do with this? Kiri!"

"What? I mean, your burn is like..." Kiri paused and looked around before lowering her voice. "Really low to your chest, Kati. I know Aonung saw—"

"Do not say it," Katiya hissed. "I was too out of it to realize what was happening."