23. nightmare

In the night, the sea breeze howled as the trees danced, signaling an upcoming shower.

The sky darkened as clouds rolled in, bringing a heavy downpour of rain, whose sound hit the ground soothingly.

Lightning flashed, illuminating the sky for a few seconds at a time. Soon after, thunder accompanied the rain, creating a beautiful harmony.

As Aonung unsheathed his knife, he made a small cut between Katiya's top, exposing her upper chest by separating the fabric a few centimeters.

Eyes fixed on her, he set his knife aside and glanced at the full extent of the burn. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he took in the sight of her.

A galaxy of intricate bioluminescent stars glowed on her chest tauntingly, beckoning him to trace his fingers over them.

Turning his gaze away from her, he felt the tips of his ears burn. He shifted uncomfortably, his heart suddenly beating wildly in his chest.

Something was certainly wrong with him and he refused to let her affect him in this way.

Aonung took the damp cloth and hovered above her from the side, pinning her arm down.

"Scream if you have to, pretty face. Don't hold back," he murmured, a playful tone in his voice as he pressed the cloth against her burn.

Katiya groaned, her eyebrows scrunched together in the middle as she writhed beneath his hold.

He pushed the cloth harder, eliciting a pained gasp from her. Although excruciatingly painful at first, his hand and the warmth of the fabric soothed her pain.

He watched her with fascination and concern, his hand moving from her arm to her face, as he lightly brushed away the wet hair strands that clung to her forehead.

Aonung could see the relief on her face as she relaxed her arm.

Then he removed the cloth and reached for the dapophet, a water plant, in the wooden bowl beside him. He tore off the tip, revealing a cool, clear substance inside.

Swiping at the substance with two fingers, he gathered a generous amount before hovering over Katiya again.

A bolt of lightning struck outside as the rain poured, pitter-pattering on the Marui, and he could see her expression clearly for a second. Her eyes closed and her mouth parted.

Then it was back to the warm, dim lighting from the stone bowl in the corner.

Aonung's gaze darkened, his eyes focused as he massaged the sticky substance between his fingers, creating a frothy foam.

He gently rubbed the foam into the burn, prompting Katiya to wince and grab his necklace, pulling him down toward her.

Aonung grunted, gritting his teeth as his other hand moved to the floor, pushing against her strength.

Their faces were now inches apart.

Katiya moaned painfully from the herb's effect, her hands clutching tightly to his necklace as beads of sweat accumulated on her forehead once more.

He could feel her breath on his skin, her chest heaving up and down rapidly because of the painful burning sensation.

Her delicate whimpers were like music to his ears, fueling his heartbeat as his lips twitched upward into a smile.

"It hurts now but I'll make you feel better. Just endure for a little longer," he whispered.

While Aonung was conflicted about his feelings for Katiya, refusing to acknowledge his newly found affection for her, he intended to make her feel better and ease her pain for the moment.